Friday, January 30, 2009

The Awesome...The Bad....and The Good

Collin pooped! Yaaaaay! He pooped and pooped good. It was the most awesome thing ever. He was so thrilled with each and every little push that he had to get up and peek at the results. Yep, it was pretty spectacular. I stopped short of photographing that momentous occasion. I did, however, take pictures of the reward, which was watching, "Muteets!" That's Collin-speak for "Muppets." I wish I could capture how cute it is for him to raise his little fists in the air and command that "Mama dance" to the "Muteets," because you know there just ain't nothin' cuter.


Hooray! It's the "Muteets!" Collin loves to watch Kermit, the "foggy!" The kid's seen it, like twice, yet he remembers it. Weird.

Alas, that was the end of awesome for the next three days. Yep, the end. Finito. Because we'd spent days doing nothing but encouraging our little man, he kind of got a lot, scratch that, nothing BUT leeway, he started figuring out that he could get away with murder. Suddenly, he decided that while he COULD make it to the bathroom, he no longer wanted to; and while he COULD follow rules, he no longer wanted to do that either.

By the end of three days of him looking at me, peeing his pants and then laughing about it; and then climbing on furniture, generally ignoring me, throwing things at me, hitting me and then laughing at me again, I decided I'd either have to finally follow through with my threat to sell him to gypsies or join a band of them myself. I'd lost all my parental power; let alone the potty training. Who even cared about that anymore!

This may look innocent...but it's really Collin on his way to do me some sort of bodily harm.

We gave him a few inches to support him in the potty power and he took miles and miles and used potty to beat the living snot out of me while Daddy was at work. Truthfully, the potty accidents didn't mean squat to me; it was the behavior that had to go! Potty was an experiment that we tried that worked with dire consequences. We went in saying we knew it was early to try, so if it didn't work, whatever. When it did, wahoo!

A very brief, by happy moment. I enjoyed these moments greatly over the last few days and tried very hard to make them last by staring at the picture of it while he shrieked at me and pretending that's what was real instead.

I had no idea he'd be so stubborn and use it to manipulate it into something else and completely change his behavior. Diapers back on and we'll try again later. No pressure and back to the sweet kid in time out until he remembers who's boss...which was pretty quickly, by the way. So, all those who want to say "told you so," please refrain. The last week of h-e-double hockey sticks have been enough for me. We just have to figure out how to work around Collin's, "I will CHOOSE when to do it myself" attitude, now that we know and he knows when/how/what to do, which is totally annoying.

Thankfully, Daddy had the day off today to help me recover from the torture behavior that Collin inflicted on me all week. He came home yesterday to find me pretty much quivering in the corner with our formerly sweet boy beating me to a pulp. Well, not really, but kind of.

Anyway, in better news we had our allergy appointment today. No milk allergy. Definite amoxicillin allergy. The prognosis is that because his antibiotic reaction was so strong, he was in a histamine overload and his body was continuing to fire off hives for sometime afterward causing him to react to almost any stimuli in his environment, even if he wasn't allergic to it. She told us that his skin is especially reactive to outside reactors, like if you scratch him, the mark stays for an excessively long time. He gets that from me. Sorry Collin, didn't mean to give you freak skin. But, the good news is that he gets to have his milk and stuff again. Wheeeeee! Collin's pleased about that!
P.S. Oh yeah, the minute that diaper hit his rear, we (I) YANKED that pacifier from that kid so fast it would make your head spin! Sure, he has it for bedtime still and sure, he's whining like you wouldn't believe for it. But, no stinking way does he get it now. No siree!

3 comments:

Audrey said...

I'm still impressed with the potty training success. I'm learning from you :)

I'm Erin. said...

I'm so excited for you that he's not allergic to milk!! You have no idea what I'd give to hear that news!
And all I have is empathy for the potty training setback. Been there, done that. Hate it.
Might never potty train Derek.

Karen Parke said...

Rachel my dear.....you and Bryon did the very best job with this program that any two parents could possibly do !!! Sometimes, things just don't work with kids...they are all different, all unique. The important thing is to have a happy family and a happy little guy. He will pick up this potty stuff quickely....just you wait and see.