Thursday, January 1, 2009

The New Year Clean Slate

New Year's Day always make me see things with a new set of eyes; not that I go out and replace my peepers with lab donations that those kind people who check the back of their driver's licence give to science or anything of course. No, I just sort of see things with a new perspective all of the sudden.

Like, last night I was determined to capture what Collin was doing at midnight when we were all toasting and kissing (don't worry, we only kissed the appropriate spouses). I felt sad that who I consider the center of our family was snoozing away not sharing the moment of celebration with us. I felt like we were all missing out on his presence. Not in a million years would I consider trying to keep the kid up until midnight with us because I'm pretty sure that once it's an hour past his bedtime, he might actually turn into one of those dogs that guard the gates of hell. Anyhoo, I wanted to capture his midnight "celebration." This is it....
What did you expect? This morning it kind of occurred to me that he probably hated that and as much as I loved it, it was not the nicest thing to do to him because it did disturb him, A LOT. It took three pictures to get that shot because the flash lit up his crib and caused him to drop his pacifier, which made him grab all over the place looking for it like a newborn rat, or other sum such animal born with closed eyes. Poor baby. So, I think I'll try to think of him a little more when I'm dying for MY moment. I could've just peeked in and kissed his little head and said "Happy New Year," right? (no, that's not a resolution, just a sort of thought).

This is my sweet boy, before the perfect, peaceful shot above, trying to avoid the spotlight-like glare of the sole light of the flashbulb, by burying his face in the crib bars. Poor kid. Evil Mommy.

And, I also realized how important his grandparents are. I always knew this, but he reminded me this morning by melting into total tears this morning and shrieking "NO bye-bye!" as the pulled away at the end of their visit. He grew very attached during their stay. Maybe it's because of the game of "peek-a-boo-fort" they invented last night. Or, maybe it's because of the love. I don't know. Thankfully, he only has to wait two weeks until the next round of grandparent love. Granny's coming soon.

Finally, I'm beginning to accept the fact that the kid is not a baby. This does not mean he is not my baby and that I won't continue to take endless pictures of him that I will torture strangers with like this, of course. I mean look at him. In his new coat, doesn't he look like a total kid and nothing at all like a baby anymore? He looks like I could take him down to the enlistment station; okay, practically. Not that I would, of course. He's officer material, right? Besides, he's expressed an interest in the Academy, I think. Sorry, Aunt Robyn. :) Check the new shoes. They have superball soles that help him "bop" really high. Just don't tell him that "hop," starts with an "h."
It was really, really foggy today. I think that explains why we had the park to ourselves. It was like playing on the set of a horror movie. Eddie could've turned into Cujo at any moment. Right! The dog who's afraid of ceiling fans becoming evil from the creepy fog. Still, it was kind of ominous.

Big boys definitely like to beat "around" the bushes with sticks. Collin's new favorite activity at the park; well, that and taking as many sticks home as he can cary. We've got a collection going these days. Maybe it's the coat inspiring this round. Baseball/Stickball? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
Happy New Year, everyone!

No comments: