Sunday, January 4, 2009

Mish-Mash of Family Awesomeness

Hey there folks! Did you know that my family rocks? I did. I just kind of get reminded of it every once in a while. Okay, most of the time. But, I thought I'd remind you all of how much I love everyone today. Not in a rubbing it in kind of way, but in an "awwww, doesn't she just love that kid kind of way," (in case you couldn't already tell!)

So, after our trip to the zoo, Collin has kind of been OBSESSED with any of his toys that, in any way, resemble animals. He loves his animal books, his animal toys, and his pretend zoo. He even decided to line them up in the pretend zoo yesterday. Although, he sort of doesn't get the idea that lions, tigers and zebras shouldn't live in the same pen. That would be what zookeepers would consider a baaaaaad idea. But, when you are approaching two, these kinds of things don't much matter and, in fact, Mr. Giraffe might just lean over and say "yumm-yumm" as he takes a pretend bite of Mr. Tiger on his way to take a pretend bite of the tree that Mommy set up there for him to realistically eat. Always trying to teach him. Always. Whatever, apparently, he wants carnivorous giraffes in his zoo.

And, he is also pretty into my new favorite noise: oooh-oooh-oooh. It's pretty hard to describe the lilting raise to the middle ooooh in print. But, it's sort of like a valley girl seeing a Versace dress half off. It's pretty cool. I'm not sure where he picked it up; but, he uses it for everything, exciting or not. Like at dinner last night, he said "oooh-oooh-oooh, a chip!" What? We had Mexican take out. He doesn't get chips every day, don't worry. Today, I let him play a peek-a-boo game on line and it was pretty much endless, "oooh-oooh-oooh!" Awesome. Even more awesome, he knew the shapes, circle, and moon and apple (or as he calls it applet?!) and he knew there was a bunny in there somewhere. Cool, huh? What the F is an applet?

He loves his new, Goodnight Moon game too. He is getting pretty good at taking turns and he's the champ at making his matches on the cards. He can name all the pictures too. He has extrapolated the picture names to life too. I hear him using cow, moon, mouse, etc in other parts of the world and I'm pretty sure it has to do with learning the game. I love it. And, I'm so proud of watching him try so hard to take turns, even if it means he has to walk away from the table or be told a few times to be patient. It's so fun to watch him mature that way. Such a big boy already! He likes if you clap for him, or give him five when he does a good job...kind of an ego-maniac already. I think that's getting old for him too; we may have to graduate to chest bumps. I tried the fist bump for him yesterday and he wasn't buying it. He does do "power!" with the fist pumping in the air, which is totally lame, but what can I say? He IS our kid. His secret hiding spot is my second favorite place in the world. He loves, loves loves sneaking under his crib and squealing with glee when we pretend not to be able to find him. He's got one of those outlet covers under there that he pretends is a "fower," which is Collin-speak for "pacifier," and he goes nuts. He's also taken to dragging me under there with him for "chats." He just sort of babbles and uses all his big-boy words. Sometimes, it involves labeling my face parts or just telling me that he likes animals and what sounds they make, punctuated with head-butt hugs. It's pretty awesome. So, while climbing into his crib when he is first waking up in the morning, which I probably shouldn't do because eventually I'll break it and force the big boy bed thing too soon and yeah, it's probably a little weird (but he LOVES IT and no, I don't do it all the time!), this is a pretty close second. And, Daddy doesn't fit under there so we hide together and giggle. Tee Hee!

Anyway, after Daddy having a week or so off for the holidays, I'm pretty much in mellow-I-Love-my-family mode. Talk to me next week after Daddy leaves for another week to wherever.

1 comment:

Jen R said...

What kind of crib do you have in your house that both Collin and you can fit under it?? I don't think that even when the kids were first born they could have fit under theirs! The picture of Collin crawling out from under it is great! And I just love that bath picture in your header...it is GREAT!!!