Monday, January 26, 2009

3-Day Potty Training: Day 3 Noontime Totals

Big Boy Underwear in wash at naptime: 0!!!! :)
Anything else in the wash at naptime: 0!!!! :)
Successful trips to the potty last night/evening: 3
Successful trips to the potty overnight: 3
Successful trips to the potty for poop: 1
Accidents: 2 (note that's total for the whole time too!!! hooray!)
Successful trips to the potty today (dribble-free!!! and with announcement!!!): 2
Sheets in the wash this morning: 1
Baths Needed: 1

Enjoy my random pictures of this process. He's just so darn cute. He keeps singing, or trying to sing, "No more diapers for me" from his Potty Power DVD! There'll probably be more, as my guess is that this is more of a four to five day process for it to be "permanent" but the gist is stuck at three days. He seems to have it right now, but you definitely will have to STICK with it for it to work.

After yesterday afternoon, I was tempted to throw in the towel. We had some progress in the morning, and a bit of progress into the afternoon, and then a nuclear meltdown in the hours preceding dinner. Yep, a total and complete reversal of everything that precluded it.

He peed his pants totally. No dribbles and then off to the potty. No announcements. Nothing. Then, ten minutes later, he did it again during the first full-blown tantrum he'd had during this whole process. It was horrible. Something had to be done.

We went where I vowed I'd never go again. Pacifier-land. 180-turnaround. Within an hour, Collin announced "pee-pee" and marched HIMSELF to the potty and waited for me to pull down his pants for him where he promptly peed. This same, accident-free, dribble-free pee repeated itself three times before bath time. And, he made it to the potty for a big poop too (barely, but still!). So, pacifier is staying until we make it over this hump. We've broken it once, we can brake it again. If that's what it takes to learn this scary process for him, I'm okay with it.

After the big poop in the potty, we broke down and gave him the grand poobah of rewards that we were saving. The super garbage truck. It's one of those Tonka jobbies that's like $30. I thought Bryon might need a refresher in potty training when he realized all the stuff it did because he almost peed his pants too when it came out of the package and he actually got to play with it. It actually compacts garbage and lifts the can to the back. It IS pretty cool, and Collin was actually SHAKING with excitement when he got, what he calls, his "poo-poo present," from, yes, "Santa." No, we can seem to dissuade him from that idea. We're trying.
Overnight, he went potty in the potty three times for Daddy. We're supposed to cut off liquids 2-3 hours before bed but Collin literally BEGS for water. We've tried hiding all cups so he can't even see they exist but he still begs. The kid is sweating and out of breath from playing so hard. I don't think it's a comfort thing; I think he's genuinely thirsty. I keep filling them only tiny bits full, thinking he'll only take what he needs; but, he keeps downing them. Normally, he'll drink 2-3 full sippy cups between dinner and bed. We got him down to about 1 last night, and that's still a lot.
I missed the mark this morning though and he wet the bed right at get-up time. I dashed in when he first started stirring and by the time I got there, he'd peed on himself....and rolled over into it. Gross. It was in his hair, all over his arms and legs. It was disgusting. He had to have a bath. I'm beginning to wonder if he even woke up for it because he didn't just dribble and then stop; it was a full-fledged wetting.
Anyway, today he's refusing to drink anything, I think because he's not feeling well. Stupid cold that decided to come on right in the middle of this! Despite that, he's had to pee twice before I put him down and both times, he told me he had to go and we went to the bathroom together where he emptied his bladder in one go! Hooray! And, he answers me when I ask him incessantly if he's still dry and what he's supposed to say when he has to go potty. And, we landed on a treat that tickles his fancy for these constant naggings: Trix! I popped one and I can't imagine why anyone would enjoy them. They taste like sugar balls, held together with food dye and sawdust. He thinks they are crack.

His second pee was a bit of an adventure because for the first time since we started all this, our awesome potty with the shield wall the height of the Great Wall of China failed us. His mini-Collin was poking a little high and he peed all over the floor. It was pretty gross; especially since the instant he's done, he wants to stand up. So, yeah, he stepped all over it. Ewww. Oh god! I just realized that in the multitude of things to do when he's done peeing, like wiping up the pee, giving him a sticker, a Trix, dumping the pee, wiping the seat out, putting his pants on, washing his hands, drying his feet, etc, I forgot to actually WASH his feet before I put him in bed. AAAAH! Oh well. Sterile, right? No. That is gross. I'll figure something out.

Anyway, I'm counting this as overall success and growing as we go. This is not easy but today has gotten progressively easier. Wish us luck as we keep trying! And, tomorrow is a big day, and a true test, as eventually, we'll have to leave the house...eeeek!

2 comments:

Trey and Mel's Piece of the Net! said...

I am so proud of you guys for doing the potty training thing. I feel so bad for the kids who are still wearing diapers/pull ups when they are 4 or 5 years old. Most parents just want to 'wait until their kid is ready' which I think is just taking the easy way out because it seems like most of the work is done by the parents. I guess we'll find out in about two years just how hard potty training is! Good Luck!

Audrey said...

Wow, I'm totally impressed with your potty training dedication. I'm not even going there with Corban for a few more months. How old is Collin?