Monday, January 5, 2009

Spawn of.....

I'm forever trying to figure out who the heck my kid looks like. No one knows. Rarely, if ever, are we told that he looks like either one of us and it sort of bums me out. When we were stationed in Ohio, all the little baby boys on the street were such spitting images of their Daddies that it was almost eerie...like, children of the Buckeye-Corn-State eerie.

I was looking forward to Collin getting his grown-up, no longer baby-face kid face, so we could figure out who the heck he decided to take after. And, now that he's starting to look like a kid, it's still unclear. Bryon is no help at all. He wouldn't be able to tell if Collin looked like him if he came out with glasses on and a receding hairline.

So, I made him take my picture with him yesterday and his picture with him and we scrutinized. Well, I scrutinized and Bryon got bored. Yes, this is what we did to pass the time on a Sunday morning...what! We don't watch television.
Uhhh...Collin, do you think you could maybe lean slightly towards me and pretend that I don't smell bad or at least like you like me a little bit? Considering you are the one that poops in your pants, chances are, you are the one I should be leaning away from anyway!

That's better. Heaven forbid you should smile...even a little...even at all. Nope. Way too much to ask, right?
Oh, apparently not. Dada gets a smile. Whatever. I'm just the Mommy. Just the one who carried your sorry butt around in her body for nine stinking months and then pushed you out. Nope, didn't hurt a bit. Not at all. Oh yeah, and I don't take care of you all day, every day. Nope. Don't worry about smiling for me. That's alright.

Here's what we came up with. Collin was dropped from the sky and looks like neither one of us. We've decided that maybe that's a good thing. You know how some kids get the WORST of both of their otherwise non-offensive looking parents, but when you combine all their yucky features on one kid, the kid ends up looking like a Garbage Pail kid. Remember those cards? Anyway, maybe Collin got all of our non-offensive features in such combination that, while he looks like he could belong to anyone on the street, at least he's cute.

4 comments:

Trey and Mel's Piece of the Net! said...

Funny you mention the garbage pail kids, I recently had a dream that our boy was going to come out looking like one of those, which would not be funny! As for who Collin looks like, I don't see any traits from either, in fact, I think you and Bryon look more alike! I am sure that when Collin gets taller and thin like his parents, it will be much easier to tell!

Jen R said...

With a title like that I expect some sort of terror story to follow....at least that is what would be coming if I wrote something with that title :-) and I don't think that anyone as cute as Collin could ever be called "spawn"!

Annie Pennington said...

I seriously laughed out loud about the Garbage Pail Kids comment! Gosh those kids were SCARY!!! LOL! (And no worries Mel...I KNOW your little boy won't look like one either!). I really don't see anything about Collin that screams either you or Bryon's genes. He's his own little man, you never know though, he might grow and end up looking just like one of you! Does he look like either of your pictures when you were his age? None the less he's ADORABLE!!!!! So that's really all that matters! :)

I'm Erin. said...

I think I can see Bryon in him in the bathtub picture at the top of your blog.