Monday, December 15, 2008

What You Get with a Migraine

For reasons unexplainable to me and every neurologist I've seen since I began having these dastardly things as a teenager, I go through cycles with my headaches, on in the winter, off in the fall, on in the spring. Weird. Anyway, I'm on my on cycle, meaning I get more of them right now than usual. No biggie on the days when I don't have them...biggie on the days when I do. After so many years with these pesky things, I've kind of learned to adapt...except when the HUGE ones hit and I'm forced to quit life for a couple of hours or even the day.

Yesterday, I was down for the count for half the day. This happens in the winter at least a couple of times. I missed my men so much! Okay, you know who I missed the most...and I missed him by the first thing in the morning, when I heard him start to stir in his crib. Since I'd just taken my medicine and I was feeling well enough to stir from the bed, but not so well that I wanted to move too much, I decided to crawl into bed WITH Collin and see if Daddy would notice that he had two of us to take care of. What do you think?

No, I didn't need changing, dressing or a "nanee" for breakfast. But, I did like the whole snuggle trip I got. It gave me a boost of adrenaline that I sorely needed. I'm pretty sure that's what kicked my headache by dinnertime instead of three days from now!

So, dinnertime rolled around and I decided 24 hours is long enough for the same pair of p.j's and underwear. I changed shortly after these pictures were taken. But, I rolled out of bed, feeling groggy but better and Collin and I colored while Daddy made dinner. So, headaches mean no cooking...hmmm, have to remember that one. What a guy! Kidding, Daddy cooks for us a lot, all I have to do is ask.

Then, since I missed my guy all day, I decided to spoil him too...and he got a sucker. Yep, that's right, BEFORE dinner. I swear, I'm worse than a Grandparent sometimes. What can I say, I missed him and he was being cute. He actually modeled his shoes for me when I asked (see below), so I'd say that deserves a sucker, right?

Anyway, I think he's enjoying his first taste of sucker-dom. We took it away shortly after this because I do enjoy the current color of my furniture, walls and carpeting. And, like his Mommy who cannot put any hard candy in her mouth without immediately biting it, he was trying his darndest to break his teeth by chomping it immediately. Yep, he's my son all right.


So, the sum up is that a headache gets you the right to climb right into the crib with your son, a day in bed, dinner cooked for you and the right to spoil your kid. Not a bad deal, right? Oh wait, maybe it does suck since it also gets you pain so bad your hands shake and you can only eat soda crackers because anything else barfs out. Snuggle, barf....hmmmm, tough balance.

2 comments:

Karen Parke said...

I am so sorry about the migraines....I know how you feel. Seems like every single saturday about 3AM they start for me. Then I am flat out and don't get my errands done...can't even fix myself something to eat. You are very lucky to have such a wonderful husband and son.

Annie Pennington said...

Gosh I'm so sorry you suffer from such horrible migraines! I'm glad you have a wonderful hubby there to take good care of you and a precious little guy that helps you KINDA forget how bad you feel.