Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Mommy's Dating

Daddy's TDY for one day...meaning he was supposed to get back late tonight after the two of us crazy kids were long asleep for tonight. That spurred an evil thought in Mommy's mind--that she should go on a date! Little did she know Daddy would catch a standby flight and be home around nine. Jeesh!

Anyway, Collin and Mommy went on a date. She got Collin so jazzed about the idea that he was sing-songing "date!" the whole way to their special outing. She didn't have a clear plan in mind, just that it would involve the mall. Hey, toddlers don't know that the mall isn't cool yet, right? She sneakily thought that maybe his first movie might be fun, but it would depend on the time of their arrival. Our arrival, by the way was punctuated by Collin groping my boob on the way out of the car...I hope he doesn't continue this kind of fast mover behavior on his real dates.

Yep, it was perfect. We arrived at 5 and "Bolt," started at 5:30. That gave us time to buy a ticket, sell our donatable organs and use the proceeds to buy two hotdogs and a box of candy (hey it was a date and therefore a worthy of special treat-ness, right?). We hung out in the lobby and ate our hot dogs and I hid the candy in my pocket for later.
That's my man there, totally fascinated by the animated snack bar screens that roll through the menu over and over again. I couldn't get his attention for anything. And yes, I'm the freak-mother at the movies with a camera. I don't care.

Did you know they have booster seats at movie theaters? Well they do. Even with that added weight, Collin didn't hold his seat down all the way. So cute I wanted to cry. The little chair three quarters folded, seriously painfully adorable. Anyway, he was in AWE the whole time.

Collin's first glimpse at a movie screen...can you say saucer-eyes? That's his hot dog bun. It took him another hour to finish it.

About ten mintues before the end, he kept reaching for my hand and saying, "Mommy." He wanted to sit on my lap. He got sad at the sad parts and he looked genuinely concerned that the doggie hero and little girl wouldn't be together. It was so sweet and the fact that we got a little snuggle time in the movie was so special. It was the best date I'd ever been on.

He even let me hit my favorite store on the way out, and he bought me a present. He's the perfect date. He only acted semi-bad in there, and it's not his fault really. Clothing racks do look like jungle gyms and can you blame the kid for wanting to touch cashmere. He IS my son of course! And J.Crew...I mean honestly, what son of mine wouldn't want to crawl all over everything in there?
Anyway, I was SO excited and on such a high after our date that I couldn't wait to tell the world how in love I am with this new guy I'm seeing. Is it to soon to say that about him? I hope he doesn't think I'm rushing things. Seriously though, I think we're in it for the long haul.

1 comment:

Jen R said...

That sounds like so much fun, I am jealous!!! What movie theater did you go to that let you eat hotdogs and take what you didn't finish into the theater??? My 2 crazies would love that!