Tuesday, December 30, 2008

How They Treat Black Lung

Doctor Pediatrician is pretty good at treating black lung. He's got an M.D. after all. He's got certificates on the wall. And, even though Collin can't read them, and I don't bother reading them or reading them to Collin, I'm pretty sure that they probably say stuff like, "Can treat Black Lung." Since that's what Collin's got, and what he's been trying to convince me he's got for the past three weeks, what with all the midnight cough attacks and the keeping me awake and all, I am glad we got to go see him today.

Yeah, that's right, we went to the doctor. Daddy went with us and it's the first time he met Dr. Pediatrician since he's usually at work when we have to go. Daddy was surprised by him since he's not used to the guy. We like him but Daddy's not used to a guy who talks as fast as a windup toy and just as much. He's an awesome doctor but pretty hyper.

The whole visit was pretty fun, especially since no one else was there. Weeeee germy waiting room toys all to ourselves! That meant no six hour wait in the waiting room, getting in relatively close to the appointment time and out again quickly too. That's awesome for around here. I guess everyone is on Christmas vacation, even germs, well at least germs that require a trip to the doctor.
The long and short of it is antibiotics for ten to fourteen days and maybe some cool fake Benedryl (what the military hands out for free!!!) if coughing persists at night. Black Lung translates to sinus infection. Apparently, Collin wouldn't have died if left untreated, but this mommy was sort of torturing him by leaving him unmedicated and she was certainly torturing his parents by letting him continue to cough all night. I felt kind of bad about the whole thing.
Dr. Pediatrician made me feel a little better because he said that Collin wouldn't necessarily have acted sick. So, that's a good thing...phew, I'm not a neglectful parent. And, phew I can take a temperature so it's not me being crazy by thinking he didn't have one. Anyway, meds for ten days; if he doesn't improve until about day 8 or so, go get more. Since Collin loves medicine, I don't think that will be a problem.

Anyway, as you can see from the pictures, having Black Lung has not slowed down his playing...or his love of being in boxes one bit.

No comments: