Thursday, December 11, 2008

Mommy's Shame

I can't believe I'm about to type these words. My fingers are shaking at the thought. Collin, my sweet angel of a boy has bitten! Ack! The first time (yes, there are two incidents to report! I'm almost weeping) Kari and I weren't totally sure it happened, so I felt almost comforted at the thought that just maybe Grace was being dramatic. But, by incident number two, it was confirmed. Collin has picked up this dastardly trait.

Okay, so it's only the first day he's trying out his chompers. I hope that forcing an immediate apology the first time and then whisking him immediately home from the park after the confirmed second bite attempt (not even a bite!) will help nip this problem in the bud (no pun intended!).

The two of them were having a particularly persnickety day together, which happens from time to time with best buddies when you are toddlers and suddenly wham, he decided I think I'll put her arm in my mouth to solve the problem. What?! Who does that? They seemed to be searching for things to fight over, it was almost silly to watch. But, still no excuse to bite!

We sat down when we got home and had a chat about how Grace's feelings were hurt and Mommy's feelings were very hurt about using our teeth when we're angry. He got that sad look in his eyes that he got when we guilted him about breaking Daddy's Christmas tree ornament. I thought: Bingo! Of course, six seconds later, he was laughing hysterically at how he'd cornered the cat between the dog bowl and the lamp and how hilarious it is when Homer, when cornered, stands on his hind legs and bats at the air. Ha! Ha! Biting? What? Do you SEE this, mom?

So, we'll see. At the very least, he and Grace still seem to be friends anyway because they were making faces at each other all the way home from the park and tickling hands, reaching from their strollers.

Anyway, Collin's likely forgotten all about the incident and I'm ruminating on it and will be all day. I'll talk it over to death with Bryon and we'll worry about it constantly for weeks. I'll be paranoid every time he gets frustrated near another child for at least a month. I will blame that darn biting child (who was at the park today by the way!) that taught him this even though it's not his fault of course, but I choose to do that anyway! Leave me alone. Meanwhile, Collin is upstairs, babbling away, not taking his nap properly because he's hopped up on the adrenaline from fighting juice or something like that. Aaaagh! Why did he have to bite!
The funny thing is, anyone who really knows Collin, knows it's totally out of character for him to bite in the first place. He's more likely to just give up whatever someone's fighting him for and walk away. He's so mellow. I want that kid back, even if it makes him a pushover later. I want the wussy kid who gets pushed around a little and is always the nice one. Everyone likes the underdog, right? No one likes the bully.

I think I'll leave him in this little prison today...what do you think?

No comments: