Friday, April 10, 2009

If I Had the Patience to Edit

I have often (okay, occasionally...okay, rarely) mentioned that I should "edit" some of my photos to look cooler. We actually do own some software, so I'm told by my husband who takes geeky photos that do not contain people. What's the fun in those kinds of pictures, I ask. Anyway, in one of my rare moments of mentioning that I should edit pictures today, I thought of how I could make my little man's moments look any better.

Like sneaking into his room on his first night with the big boy bed when I thought he'd finally fallen asleep to take that "first" sleeping picture. Yeah, he wasn't asleep. But, he was quiet. I'm not sure how I would've edited this picture if I'd bothered except to be a better photographer...or a more patient one who actually waited until he was really asleep.
Or, this one of a similar theme at nap time today. After I lost it, and actually screamed at him and slammed his door, a rarity of such occasion in this household that my son found it hilarious instead of scary (which did nothing to improve my ire), I wanted a shot right before he woke up. Lo and behold, kitty was sleeping with him. How did that happen? Maybe he snuck in one of the sixteen thousand times I had to open the door to tell him to GET BACK IN THE FRIGGING BED! Oh, wait. Sorry, lost myself there for a second. Anyway, If I could edit it. I might fully clothe my child. I might also put him IN THE FRIGGING bed instead of on top of it. And, I might take the picture before the cat decided to start crawling off...you know when they were all snuggled and cute. But, you get the idea, right?

Then, there's this precious moment that I actually adore; but, proves my inability to photograph anything that moves with much talent. See, Collin LOVES it when we throw pillows at his head. You'd think I was lying and using this as an excuse to propel objects at my kid's melon to relieve stress; if you didn't see the picture of his glee. If it doesn't hit him in the head at full speed, he's not pleased. In fact, if it knocks him down full flat, he's all the more happy for it. Hey, I just made the kid, I make no explanations for him. Anyway, the picture clearly shows his joy, the whack back of his head, 3/4 of my living room....and the itty-bitty corner of the pillow. So, it's awful. Should I bother to know how to edit, I think you know what I'd fix.


We also have here the wipe procedure for poops in our house. Collin has decided that he needs to bend over and take it like a man. Yeah, he's weird. No one told him to do this; he just took it upon himself that this is the easiest way to be wiped. He sticks his little head between our knees, back out, and bends over. It's pretty funny. It's hard to get a picture of. Shadows, red-eye (oh how I could make a very bad joke about the brown eye), lots of tops of heads. You name it. Anyway, I don't bother to fix it half the time so there's plenty to pick on.



And, of course, he gets bored half-way through the wipe procedure, and who wouldn't, and wants to escape.

Anyway, I love all my horrible pictures because they are horrible pictures of my wonderful son who delights and amazes me everyday. He had his two year well baby appointment today. Will they keep calling them that for me until he's eighteen and simply having a physical? Seriously, I want to take my son to his 18 year old well baby check. Anyway, he's well. He's still a giant kiddo in those weird percentiles but he's trending towards getting taller and skinnier so we are happy. And, he's still got a freakishly small melon. Maybe that's why he likes getting hit with pillows? But, he's happy and healthy and his Mommy likes taking tons of pictures of him for it, even if she never bothers to do any editing beyond red-eye correct right on the darn camera.

No comments: