Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Beginning of the End of an Era

Yesterday afternoon Collin got his leg caught between the crib slats so badly that it took me upwards of ten minutes to free it. It turned purple before I could get it out and he was as hysterical on the outside as I was on the inside; me, of course, keeping the outward signs of calmness so as not to freak him out further. Meanwhile, I was thinking that I was about three seconds away from calling the fire department or hacking the crib to bits to get my precious little big guy free from it's clutches of death. He went through a phase a few months back where he did this on purpose for attention, but stopped when he realized it was mildly painful to him. Thankfully, I never had to resort to Crisco.

Oh how I fear the big boy bed, but I think it's time. The freedom of movement he will have scares the pants off of me! Oh, and yes, the laundry increase that I will now have gives me the cold shivers because sure, he's potty trained for daytime and for naps but not overnight. I figure we'll work on that goal for when he's thirty. Washing a crib sheet is no big deal. Washing whole big boy bedding all the time? Yippee! But, I figure it's better than teaching him to walk with a prosthetic limb.

So, I've ordered some bedding and a little rail for the twin bed, and I'm already feeling misty eyed every time I put him in the crib, thinking it's one of the last times I'll do it. Oh, the baby! Oh, how he's growing! Oh! Oh! Oh! It's so fast! And, yes, I've already started taking pictures of him sleeping in the crib, thinking that it might be the last time he does it. This is him at nap time today. Am I sick, or what?
Not as sick as he was after spinning in this chair tonight for way longer than he should have...Daddy actually had to put his hands out in front of his face to catch what we thought was going to be the vomit shower of the decade. Thankfully, when Collin opened the mouth on his very, very green face all that came out was "ooooow! Colllin tummy boo boo!" Then, he jumped down and said, "More!" Phew.

2 comments:

Jen R said...

Poor guy!! Fortunately my kids skinny legs never had that problem. Can Collins crib be converted to a toddler bed?? Paige and Austin's both did that, then it converts to a full size bed after that. Good luck, it does take some adjustment!

Karen Parke said...

There is absolutely nothing sweeter than a sleeping child.