Thursday, April 16, 2009

He Loves Rock n' Roll

Collin and I had another date today. Daddy's gone, so aside from the torture I decided to inflict upon him last night via taking away his drug of choice permanently (aka pacifier), I thought it might be nice of me to take him somewhere fun too, just the two of us. I also thought it might be fun to wear him thoroughly out so that tonight when he went to bed, he might not ask for the darn pacifier for quite as long. So, despite the fact that he let me get all of six minutes of sleep last night, I took him to the zoo today AND out for a special dinner. He looks like he deserves it, doesn't he? Look how pathetic he looks after he finally fell asleep for the first time last nigt, for the first time, pacifier-free.
The crazy part of the zoo plan? We didn't bring in the stroller. Yeah, I took wearing the kid out as a serious mission. We walked the whole way. He was so tuckered out that he actually started laying down on the sidewalk when I refused to carry him further. Hey, you'd stop carrying him too! He's heavy and it's a long walk! I don't care if he's cute. But, I relented and picked him up after realizing what it looked like to passers-by to have me standing over my exhausted child and begging him to just get up and walk. I mean, he wasn't THAT tired, he just didn't want to walk anymore. But to someone else, I probably looked like a crazy person.

Anyway, we went to Redondo Beach for a burger at Ruby's Diner afterward. He had so much fun there, coupled with lying down in the parking lot on the way back to the car, of course. Jeesh, you'd think I was killing the kid! He took a nap between these two events! I think he was milking the exhaustion factor a little bit; and, he wasn't even the one who had to carry his sorry butt a half-mile through the darn zoo back to the car earlier in the day. I'm the one who should've been lying in the street in the ocean breeze, I think! Besides, I'm the one who's now got his cold and he's the one on the mend.

The upside is that we had an awesome day together, just hanging out and seeing animals. He's pretty sure we saw peacocks and elephants, which we did not. He's also pretty sure that it's a really good idea to lick, yes LICK the toilet seat cover dispenser in the restroom at Ruby's. EWWWW! I'm just trying to block that memory, along with the memory of him touching the floor of the public restroom of the beach access public parking garage at Redondo Beach, which he just HAD to use before we went home. I'll just do my best to replace those two memories with the fact that we were out of the house all day today and he didn't have a single accident. Wahoo!

Or, I'll replace it with the memory of ride home from dinner, during which Collin decided to sing along with Joan Jett on the radio..."I Love Rock and Roll." Yeah, so put another dime in the juke box, baby. As, I type this, he was singing it to his monkey upstairs in his bed. Apparently, it's a catchy little tune.

1 comment:

Karen Parke said...

sounds like you two had a great day. Collin...no pacifier...what a big boy. And, too tired to walk anymore...I am sure he slept better last night.