Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Return of Manny

Collin made a poop in the potty! Collin made a poop in the potty! Collin made a poop in the potty! Hey, did you get that? In case you missed it...Collin made a poop in the potty!

The best part was that he spent some time on the good ol' froggy boy before bath, pushing his little heart out, like he had some bitzness to make but just couldn't get the juices flowing, then we put the kibosh on the whole thing because, really, who has all night for this? Sitting on the floor in front of the potty when NOTHING is happening can be maddening. People who've been there can feel my pain. Then, when he was in the tub, he said, "poop," and "no poop in bath," while he was playing. It's always a good sign when the kid makes reassurances to us and himself that he's not going to leave a surprise beneath the bubbles for us. Anyway, when he got out, he marched his little foam-covered self right back to the potty to resume pushing and lo and behold, a poop! Hooray!

Daddy was reluctant to let me get out the garbage truck that we hid away again after the last potty training fiasco. He never really missed it. I took it when he wasn't playing with it and figured it would have just as big of a punch when he started again. Daddy thought giving him a huge reward right before bed would backfire. But, I thought, poop in the potty on his own drive, BIG REWARD NECESSARY! Who cares if it's bedtime? Can you tell which parent is likely to give him candy after his teeth are already brushed? I'm a softie. Hey, I took it away too, didn't I? I'm not all mushy pudding center.

Yeah, you could say he was excited. He's called it his "special poo poo present all day." We're still trying to break him of calling all presents poo poo presents. It's a little embarrassing at birthday parties. But, he was so excited! Today, I cruelly took it away again. It sounds awful, but it was partially his idea so I went with it. He told me that "Manny for dry pants." He had an accident and so I took him with me to put Manny on a shelf and told him when he stays dry he can have him back. Don't worry, I didn't rub his nose in it or anything. We snuggled and talked about accidents being okay but that Manny is a special treat for staying dry and going poop and pee in the potty. Heck, I even let him have his pacifier, which is like gold to the kid. So, he keeps repeating "Manny back! Collin stay dry! Pee pee poo poo potty!" So, I think we may have a winner with this one. We'll see.

I miss diapers. Not that he's not doing remarkably well considering his age but diapers are easier. We're way relaxed this time around and he's doing awesome. One accident is nothing for a not even two-year old! But, the constant, "is it going to happen?" is AGGGGGHHHHHHH! I've stocked up on Resovle and learned to kind of "not care" about him playing on the furniture despite his ticking time bomb-ness. Although, I do freak if he climbs on the bed because you know what, I do NOT want to wash the duvet. Ugh. And yes, I still make him get off my kitchen chairs. I can be crazy about one thing. That's allowed.

P.S. Happy St. Patrick's Day! Collin's wearing green; so, no pinching!

1 comment:

Karen Parke said...

What a great truck. I am very proud of my little Collin. He is doing good and he also totally understands the connection between this "truck" and his not going in his pants. good job Rachel....good job Collin....good job Bryon.