Thursday, March 12, 2009

Inappropriate; or, Just (fill in the blank) Timing


Timing is responsible for shots like these. I haven't been able to get one like it since. Bryon calls them inappropriate. I call it awesome timing.

For the most part, I have bad timing...in everything. For example, I had to go to the DMV today to get a CA driver's license. On the way, I was in a slow patch of street traffic, not exactly a rarity in our part (or ANY part of California at 8 a.m.). Where my little safe cocoon of a car came to a stop, I got to peer out my window at a lovely park, where a nice man chose to exit to the sidewalk and promptly pull his business out of his pants, fondle himself for a minute or so and the pee on the light post. AAAAAH! It was like a car wreck, I couldn't look away. I did manage to look at the ground and not AT "him." I just had to be sure of what I was seeing. Was it, in fact, pee? Yes. Yes, it was. See, timing! Had I left three seconds earlier, I'd have been the car in front of me, and not been able to see this lovely image. Oh, and by the way, he didn't look homeless or indigent. So, riddle me this...what's the guy doing peeing in a park...or rather, leaving the park to pee on the sidewalk?

Anyway, timing sucks. I also managed to chose one of the probably 364 of 365 days of the year that the DMV's computer systems "go down" to apply for a license. So, instead of a usual week-long wait for my turn, I had to wait six weeks in their waiting area. It was awesome. Thankfully, Kari watched Collin all morning. The best part is how pleasant and helpful the employees are there. Truthfully, half of them are helpful but the other half are exceedingly unhelpful and make up for the rest. I was horrified to even attempt this process since the last time I went to a CA DMV, a crazy woman backed into my car while I was in park an then proceeded to nearly physically attack me in the parking lot because she was convinced I hit her. It was terrifying! The rent-a-cop security had to pull her inside. They may be 60 years old and forty pounds overweight, but they step in when needed.

Oh, and since Bryon's been gone, having chosen excellent timing for his trip, the faucet upstairs has nearly fallen off, the dishwasher has decided to completely stop draining and the water filter flew off while I was doing dishes last night, completely soaking the entire kitchen (not to mention me!). I fixed the water filter though. I felt pretty important after that one. Just call me Rachel the Riveter.

1 comment:

Jen R said...

Oh My Goodness!!! That first picture of Collin is the best!!! I wish that I could have gotten pictures of my kids like that! And what you saw today, WOW...that is all that I can say about that!