Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Concentrate

When I learned long division, I cried. Literally. I remember breaking down in tears at the thought of remainders. They stumped me beyond belief. Why, why, why, would there be such a thing as R something-or-other? It just wasn't neat and tidy enough. And, all that diagonal-looking math as the problem solved itself out. It just bothered me.

Then, when we got to algebra and there were all these other letters that didn't always neatly arrange themselves either, I broke down in tears again. What was forgivable and could've been considered cute in fourth grade, because you can get away with tears when you are that little, became embarrassing in seventh grade. Yeah, I cried again. I just couldn't help it. Math is hard!

Then, I learned to concentrate. I also learned that sucking on Starburst candy helps with that. I also learned that if I concentrate too hard when sucking on Starburst candy, I can forget to suck back all the subsequent juice that accumulates in my mouth and I can accidentally drool on my math tests. Alas, it's embarrassment all over again! So, it's plain to see how I didn't become an engineer and how I stuck with the arts-based classes, like English and creative writing.

But, I'm seeing that for Collin to concentrate, he's sticking with the old tongue hanging out trick. He does it a lot. Just so long as he doesn't move his lips when he reads, he's going to be just fine. Oh yeah, and just so long as he doesn't jam a Starburst wrapper in his ear, to be discovered months and months later by a doctor at a routine checkup, that's good too. (Yeah, his Daddy did that one. What can I say, we both have Starburst issues.)
For now, Mommy will just help him out of that embarrassing "concentration" face jam by just reading to him. I'd hate for him to get caught on film like that one too many times!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel like that about logarhythms... what the heck are they anyway?

Unknown said...

I think it is cute to stick your tongue out when you read or concentrate.....Collin is adorable.