Thursday, February 12, 2009

Love is in the Air

Valentine's Day is my second favorite holiday. My first favorite holiday is my birthday. What can I say, I am a sucker for a day devoted to me? I'm pretty partial to Collin's birthday these days too. But, I digress. I love Valentine's Day. Tell me it's comercial, tell me it's trite. Blah, blah, blah. I like it.

Coincidentally, Bryon and I had our wedding ceremony shortly after Valentine's Day; not because I was attached to the sentimentality of the date, but because it is cheaper to get married on a yacht in California in the "off" season (i.e. winter).

And, if you haven't guessed already, we are lame. Bryon loves, loves, loves the Muppets. And, I love Valentine's Day. So, what better cake table adornment at your wedding could you have than a cheap, drugstore toy that plays a version of a Muppet skit song? Yeah, we're that hokey. It's not like it was the theme or anything. I didn't dress up like Miss Piggy or anything, I swear.

But, the cheap-o toy is still kicking around the house. You can't throw out something that played an integral part in your wedding, even if it cost $4.99, can you? Collin was briefly startled by it as a small(er) infant, but made his peace with it.

And, he rediscovered it yesterday during a game of, "Mommy was letting me stand on the dresser." Shhh, don't tell Daddy. Anyway, the cool part is he actually recognizes that the song is from the Muppets! Crazy. He's seen the skit maybe twice in his life, and he's dragging the dang thing around screaming, "Mutteets!" and repeatedly turning it on and off and dancing his fool heart out. Of course, even more awesome, is that no one else is allowed to dance to it. That ruins his jive, I guess.

Anyway, this is the cutest sight I've seen in a while. Not so cute is the sound of this cheap-o toy's batteries dying and the song sounding like a cat fight in the backyard. And, even less cute, the fact that the battery door is not only one of the ones screwed shut, no biggie, but that the screw is set back so far that a regular screwdriver won't reach it. Grrrr.

I know his eyes are closed in that picture, but it's so darn cute, I can't help but LOVE it. And, please, no one look too closely at his hair in any of these shots. You might, just might, find barrettes in there. I can't be held responsible for that. Okay, maybe I can be. It was a strange afternoon. That's all I can say. The bottom line is that we had a FANTASTIC day, barrettes or not.

Oh yeah, and in case you are wondering, the song is "Manamana." It's pretty rockin. Yeah, I know, we're lame.

Besides all this loving of the cool toy and the "Manamana" business, Collin's taken an affinity for Valentines. He discovered that he got one in the mail from his Great Granny and Great Grandaddy and as soon as he found that out, he would not be parted from that card. If he only knew what the $5 inside really was, I think he'd want that more. That's beside the point though, really. He even took the card to the park and as a true sign of boy-affection, buried it in the sand, repeatedly and made a "cake" out of it. He only does that with things he really loves!

2 comments:

Annie Pennington said...

HAAAA! I ADORE the expression on Collin's face in the first photo, he's like, "What IS this creepy thing???" LOL! ANd then now he's all about it! Precious!

Karen Parke said...

I hope that Collin got my card and I hope he plays with it in the sand at the park!! That would make me happy. I look at the picture from last Valentines Day and it is hard to believe how much he is now a little boy...not a baby. It happens much too fast.