Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Circle Cheese...Of Horrors!

Since the allergists clean bill of health on Friday, we've gone hog wild in letting Collin back into the world of cow products. He's totally thrilled about Bessie's re-introduction into his life. He loves all things milk, unlike his mother, who will likely break a hip at age 35 because I haven't had a glass of milk since I was five. Gross. I seriously hate milk.

Anyway, one of his favorite things is "circle cheese." These are those bite-sized semi-soft cheeses that come wrapped in red wax; the Babybel cheese. Yummy. They are really good, and for most people, a bite or two. For Collin, he milks them for a few hours. Sometimes, I wait until he's not looking and take them away, sometimes for a quick rinse, as they've accumulated a plethora of lint; sometimes to chuck into the trash because, eewwwww, nasty! Anyway, as soon as he discovered circle cheese, string cheese (aka "stick cheese") was a thing of the past.

Today, he discovered something else: that circle cheese looks remarkably like other circle objects, namely the small parts of one of his toys. While I made his lunch, he was quietly playing in his little corner and, I thought, munching away on his cheese. Lo and behold, by the time it was time to eat, the cheese was gone, an unprecedented event. While he ate, I tore the room apart looking for the remains of the cheese. Not to be found. Grrrr. The last thing I wanted was to find some bits of moldy cheese six weeks from now.

I quizzed Collin while he ate, but true to his form, he answered yes to all my questions, providing me no clues. Did you eat your cheese? Yes. Did you hide your cheese? Yes. Did aliens come abduct your cheese? Yes. Did your cheese spontaneously combust? Yes. Did you feed your cheese to the dragon? Yes.

Alas, there were bigger fish to fry during lunch as he got A SINGLE hive. Yes, I should not freak over that, but I'm worried anyway. What is this kid allergic to? There it was, just jutting out of his chin. It wasn't there three minutes before lunch and then, WHAM! Soooo..........
What's the logical thing to do? Yeah, take the kid's shirt of to watch for developments, which he was thrilled about. Apparently, eating in the nude is something he finds exciting and enjoyable. I'm concerned about this, but have decided to table that thought for another time. I kept him up for another forty minutes after lunch to see what happened and no hives. So, I'll let this one go...for now. What is WITH that kid? And no, it's not a pimple.
Okay, so I took A LOT of pictures of this...Can you blame me? Look at that smile!!! He was actually hamming it up for the camera for once. It was pretty awesome. Grandparents, enjoy.

Okay...last one. This time, as you can plainly see, I've told a simply hilarious joke.
Anyway, after lunch, the first thing he did, was grab the cash register and ask me for help. My stomach dropped. I knew. Yep. Circle cheese. In the change compartment. Gross. Ewwww. He cried when I got it out of there and wouldn't give it back to him. In all of this, he was the most devastated to not get his mangled cheese/change back for his soda/crayon/book purchase. That's my son.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't know exactly what kind of cheese you are talking about....but being suprised about strange places to find the remains of it...that is funny.

And, I could see the one spot on Collin's face...what is up with this kid?