Saturday, February 21, 2009

Biff Takes a Hike

When I put the jogging suit on the kiddo this morning, I had no idea, until it was zipped up, just how much he'd look like Biff Tannen. You know, the "just putting the second coat on now, Mr. McFly," Biff Tannen of Back to The Future fame.
The jogging suit is way too cute, but with the blond hair that's just a little too long, a bit (just a bit) of a pot belly, and with a Mommy and Daddy that of course, made him wash his car this morning, it was a striking resemblance. We're cruel. Cruel. Oh, did I mention he woke up with his hair all whacked out, so I had to slick it down while he ate breakfast, so he looked even MORE ridiculous!
Hey, we made up for it. We took the little celebrity look alike to Trump Golf Course this morning. It's about a mile from our house and surprisingly, a public course and park to just wander around on. It's gorgeous and not only has zillions of miles of paved paths that overlook the ocean; it also has hiking trails and beach access. Oh yeah, and it's dog-friendly. Who says the Donald isn't a nice guy? He made this place for us, right?

So, Collin went on a hike....without the stroller! Wahoo! Can you tell he was enjoying himself?

I mean, look at that kid run. His feet barely touched the ground. It's like they have wings...and not in a fairy way. Daddy was slightly freaked out. He kept calling the edge, a "precipice." I didn't even know Daddy knew that word. I was impressed, until he said it enough times to worry me a little too.

So, we were more careful. (While Daddy was looking). What? They have those little gaurd rails! Like he'd fit between those widely spaced pieces of rusty metal cable. What, I ask you, could go wrong?


Then, we got to this sign....

Which overlooked this gorgeous beach access. Hmmm, stay on the safe path or attempt the death defying trail.

How bad could it be? Well, this bad. Remember...two year old (without stroller) with us!

And this bad. It is, admittedly, quite steep. I can see the point of the sign.

Yeah, we did it! Hooray for Collin. He decided after about three steps that it was indeed, too steep for him and he wanted to be carried on Daddy's shoulders. I was pleased because Daddy quickly increased his use of the word precipice in those three steps to about six times per nanosecond; as in, "Collin stay away from the precipice!" and "walk near the middle, not near the precipice." I think Collin may have learned a new word.

But, we had a super time at the water. Collin picked up seaweed. Ewww. At least he didn't pick up the dead bird I saw and neither did Eddie! Phew. Instead, Eddie ran off steam. It was nice and warm(ish) for February. It was, all in all, an awesome morning.

But...we had to walk back UP that crazy hill. I thought of just rolling Collin up, because he's awfully heavy, but Daddy carried him most of the way, despite protestations from the peanut gallery, which wished to walk. Every time he did though, there was stumbling involved and again, increased use of the word precipice, which was always changing sides on him since the trail turned on him with switchbacks. It was awfully confusing to have to relocate the darn precipice. And, even Collin was fearful of what would happen if he fell, seeming to realize that he wasn't in control of the additional rolling backward that would happen.

What there aren't pictures of is the ridiculously awesome public bathrooms. I just had to mention it. I felt like I was peeing at Buckingham Palace. Considering there is a shower in there, and that it's less than a mile from my house, I'm considering making it my "home" bathroom. I can just walk on over there, or heck, take the car (screw global warming) every time I need to go, right?
I think that since Collin conquered this rock here, he's laid claim to the whole place, so no one would look at me funny if I marched right in there with my shower shoes and a robe, right? Oh yeah, and he pooped there right before we left. So, if that's not marking territory as ours, I don't know what is.

2 comments:

I'm Erin. said...

Man am I jealous at how close your are to such amazing views!

Karen Parke said...

that trail looks pretty scary to me....I would be afraid of Collin just "rolling" down the hill !!