Friday, October 10, 2008

Who you gonna call?...DUST BUSTERS!!!

Yep...two days, that's all it took to figure out an even more absurd way to handle an absurd problem. Problem: Dust. Solution: Mommy. See, moms wear all kinds of caps in the household, from slave to the sticky side of Velcro to their toddler that is the fuzzy side stuck to her leg at all times (from laundry folding to peeling potatoes to peeing). But, I've just figured out that one of our most important tasks, other than figuring out just what the freak they are trying to tell us half the time, is tackling irrational fears and quashing them.

So, I've spent the last two sun-streaked mornings trying everything from standing on my head and kicking my feet through the dust to show my son that my piggies are magical and upside down now to picking him up and swirling him through the "pixie" dust sparkles. I know, I know, that's a little gay. We've waved our arms and swirled. We've yelled at it. We've howled. I've huffed and puffed and flapped my arms.

But today, I tried something random and apparently hilarious and it worked. I leaped and clapped at the same time and this is apparently what KILLS dust. Oh, and you have to yell at the same time. Yep, YELL! So, while I got ready for my shower, I tried this last ditch effort, buck naked (aren't you glad to know that part?) while he whimpered at the door and looked pitiful. It worked.

His glee was immeasurable, like he was trying to tell me all along that he wanted me to do this and if only I'd done it earlier, this problem wouldn't have gotten so out of hand. He barrelled into the bathroom, leaping, clapping and howling! Whee! I took a shower and heard his little feet pounding the floor the whole time, his hands smacking together and his exuberant voice telling those terrible dust particles to get the heck out of his bathroom! He's a tough cookie when he wants to be!

1 comment:

Karen Parke said...

It is a shame there are no pictures to document this episode! The problem is once again conquered by the resourses of MOM!!!

Collin has victory over dust........