Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Family Prepares For The Mississippi Trip

We love Eddie. We really do. He was my baby long before I met Bryon, then he was OUR baby long before we had Collin. He is a "special" dog, in that way that kids who wear helmets on the bus are special. Kidding! But he does have his quirks. (Doesn't the new addition look happy to be introduced to the old kid on the block here? I think so! Eddie looks equally pleased!)

He is mostly afraid of being outside alone for longer than it takes him to do his business. He doesn't much care for the idea of barking unless it's at the doorbell, and then only one quick BARK! He is pretty sure that ceiling fans were put on this earth as a means for his destruction and thus fears them with pain of death. He has also decided that Homer, the cat, is his lord and master and pretty much lets him run the show around here. He also has no clue of his massive size and is pretty sure that regardless of your size, he'll fit just fine on your lap should there be even the slightest hint of thunder.
For all his foibles, he's also painfully sweet, a great snuggler and like any other dog, loved endlessly by his family. So, when it comes time for us to have to travel and leave the little guy, it's a painful decision. Thus far, we've not had to resort to kennelling him. I just cannot do it. The idea of my fearful puppy behind a gate with other howling dogs makes me imagine him imagining himself in someplace akin to prison, clanging his cup on the bars and screaming ATTICA!
So, we hire pet sitters. You want to know something about pet sitters? They are not cheap. This gal is sixty bucks a day for two visits and two walks. But, we're hoping she's good. She seems nice. But, you want to know something else about pet sitters? They ALWAYS know way more about animals than you do and of course, therefore know more about your animal than you do.
It's like walking into a new parent group and meeting the one know it all mom who points out that your kid is playing with a recalled toy or that he's actually choking on that raisin not just chewing it really, really well. Pet sitters have a way of walking in and oh so delicately pointing out that maybe your brand of dog food isn't the best, or that your dog SHOULD really mind you on the first command or that maybe your cat's box isn't lined with the best litter. Grrrrr.


P.S....Collin took this stunning picture of his best buddy!!!!
One of these days, I think I might get the cajones to tell someone I'm paying to come into my house to shut up and color and do things my way with my animals. Meanwhile, I smile and nod and get embarrassed that my dog's tail is between his legs because he's shy, or as pet sitter lady says, "not socialized enough."

No comments: