Friday, October 17, 2008

My Disneyland Secret...Shhhhhh!

We're Superdorks! Yep, that's the secret. If you know us very well, you probably know this already. If you know us as casual acquaintances, you probably have suspected this and elbowed your significant other about it, giving them the "eye" when you thought we couldn't see you. We saw you. We just didn't care because, yep, we know it already.

So, when we go to Disneyland, we sort of all-out-dork it up. Well, it may be my fault. I have this theory that if we all wear the same color, it'll be easy to find one another in a crowd. I know, it's totally lame because first of all, what mother in her right mind, lets go of her toddler or lets him out of her sight, regardless of what he's wearing? Wait, I could get him one of those toddler leashes...NOT! Oh, but wait, they look so humane because they are shaped like teddy bears and almost look convenient because they have a backpack too...or I could also just drag him around in a cage, or even hook a collar to his neck and teach him to sit, stay and beg for treats. (Yep, don't like those!) And to that point as well, what wife ever really looses track of her husband when he's got the wallet full of money?

And, truth be told, I really halfway do it because I think it's fun! The first time we went, it was a lark. Bryon put on an yellow shirt and I thought, wouldn't it be neat if I wore an yellow shirt too? We could match and it would be like we were in sync. Awwww. So, I waited until he was downstairs because I knew he'd change immediately if he saw me do it. Then, I dressed Collin in yellow too.
Then, I promptly made up the story about getting separated and how it'd be so easy to spot one another in crowds, blah blah blah. I kind of believe it now as my primary reason because it does sort of make sense. Besides, if you do something three times, it's tradition. So now, we HAVE to do it, right? I think in his way, Bryon would be sort of bummed if we didn't' match the next time we went.

The next time we went, it was an automatic matchy-matchy day because it was a Friday. If you've know the McClains for more than a week, you know that Friday is Hawaiian Friday in our house. Period. Thus we were decked in our usual obnoxious Hawaiian gear. But, Collin wrecked the whole thing by peeing on his by lunchtime and he looked the odd man out because we had to buy him an outfit at the gift shop. So, I made up for it the next day by copying Bryon's shorts in the morning and then sneaking Collin into the mix when I dressed him. I'm pretty good that way!
This time, the color was green. It was hard to see most of the time because I was cold, and wore my jacket. But, we matched all the same. We're such a cute family, I swear If I wasn't in it, I would barf if I saw us. Still, even with green covered up, could Collin look any happier to be with Dada? I don't think so. And, I try to convince Bryon that although we match, no one would notice. Do you think it's obvious? (Oh yeah, and doesn't Daddy seem to be enjoying the game Collin invented? It's called, "Give me your tonsils")

1 comment:

Karen Parke said...

I so enjoy your stories.....I know about the Friday dress code....but I think dressing in the same color is a very good idea!!