Tuesday, October 21, 2008

As the Punkin Turns....

Just for perspective, this is our punkin patch (yes, I know that's not how you spell pumpkin, but I REFUSE to spell it correctly and I won't for the remainder of this post) excursion last year, during which my strongman wannabe tried to pick up his own punkin. As you can see, he had to be held up and was obviously unsuccessful in his strong-man endeavor.Not surprising, considering the punkin was eighty-seven times the size of his head and outweighed him by at least that much. These days, not much seems to outweigh our super-beast of a toddler and most things are smaller than his head too. And, at punkin patch time, he again decided that he should try to heft his own punkin home.Comparatively, I think he might've selected a slightly smaller punkin than last year; but nonetheless, he still thought he might heft it home on his own, and nothing would stop him from insisting on picking it up and carrying it himself. I was a little sad to realize how big that meant he'd gotten...until...Like any toddler, he got sick of the idea of any singular idea, this one being carrying the same object for more than two minutes, and gave me his punkin to carry for the rest of the day. I quickly swapped it for a smaller one. Hey, like he'll remember that he originally chose one the size of Colorado instead of a nice petite Rhode Island one? He barely remembers to call me Mama instead of Dada, sometimes just going for the all-purpose MamaDada. I'm pretty sure Rhode Island punkin will suit him just fine.

But, when I got home and looked at how tiny he looked next to last year's punkin pictures, I couldn't believe it. Next year, it will be even worse! And the next year even worse still. But, maybe the year after that, he'll carry his own darn punkin all the way to the car.

No comments: