Monday, October 13, 2008

Heatwaves and Haircuts

So, my son is going to be a modern day hippie, or at least mistaken for a girl relatively soon. It's actually already happened three times. If ever anyone wants to know the stories, I can tell you exactly when they were, and two of them were recent and yes, I think the people who did it are maniacs; but yes, it was because of his hair.

See, I can't cut it. I just can't. CAN'T. Some moms feel like they can't let them give up their blankie or their pacifier or their bottle or whatever. I feel like if I cut his hair, I'm cutting off something he was born with. I know it's crazy. Tell me all about how we shed billions of hairs a day or something scientific and watch my eyes glaze over. In my glazed over, catatonic state, I'll be imagining those bygone days of infancy when he was sweet and idyllic.

Meanwhile, his hair grows longer and longer every day and loses the most adorable thing about it, the curls! We see them peeping out when he gets hot...really, really hot. Like last week, when we had a heatwave, he looked like I gave him a perm and then gelled it that way. It was awesome. Well, except for the discomfort he appeared to be in with the fair skin I've gifted him with that shows rosy cheeks if he even thinks of being hot, let alone if he's sweltering. He's also got seemingly over productive sweat glands (a gift, I'm pretty sure from both mommy and daddy unfortunately...thank you over-the-counter prescription secret!). But, if he's not totally sweating and roasting, those curls lie flat and hidden :(

Still, I can't bring myself to chop them off, so I'm thinking that by the time he starts kindergarten, he's going to have to learn to braid it, put it in ponytails, or wear headbands. I don't know. Or, Mama is going to have to buck up and get over it. One or the other. It's not at do or die point just yet, so I think I have some time to warm up to the idea.

P.S. When do we get too old to hang out naked in the heat? We have no a.c. in our house and I had to wear clothes but let Collin strip...just wondering were the cutoff is? 25? Look in the the background, even the dog is hot and he IS naked.

2 comments:

Karen Parke said...

That first haircut is a very hard thing to do, I understand that. I think you still can get away with Collin's curls for a while. How could anyone mistake him for a girl.....he is most definitely a BOY*

Unknown said...

I remember my son's first haircut, and that was 42 years ago. He cried, and I think I did, too. I kept his hair and still have it to this day. Every mother goes through these feelings. It's normal. One of these days you'll be able to buck up and do it... but keep the curls! Deborah