Friday, October 31, 2008

Super (Pooper) Thursday...On Friday

I know, I know, it's Halloween. We'll get to that tomorrow. We don't have pictures of Halloween until it's actually over with, mmmkay? But, let me prepare you in advance, you WILL be witnessing perhaps the cutest monkey ever to don the costume. It will melt your heart; it will make your eyes weep; it will move mountains...if he keeps the hood up. He's not too keen on hats! You can at least see the attempt at "coloring" his punkin today. It went poorly. I think he drew one line on there before deciding that brushing Eddie was of more pressing importance.

Eddie, whom by the way, he's decided he is clearly the boss of lately. Yesterday, Collin simply would not be moved to go to the park until he pressed the dog's bottom to the floor to make him sit. Then, as if that weren't enough, he backed out of the house, pointing at him, glowering and very sternly voicing a command that started with the letter "s" but truthfully could've been "stay" or "succotash" for all I know. It was adorable but very silly.

Anyway, as you might know, Thursdays are big days in our house because the rock star garbage man comes by, not just once but twice! It's the first sound my little man hears in the morning and at the cock crow of the whirring engine approaching, he beckons me to grab him and drag him down to watch the truck as it barrels down the street.
The garbage man has come to expect us sitting on the curb, waving and yes, now giving him a standing ovation as he passes our house, so much so, that he not only waves at us in return, but gives us a garbage truck salute by lifting the front of the truck and dumping nothing into the back, just to let Collin see the hydraulics move a few extra times. Nice guy, huh? Then, it's up the stairs to get dressed and do it all again and we dash back down to watch him go back by the other way.

Well, this Thursday was extra super, as the night before we must've eaten something that was clearly a gear greaser for my man and on the dash downstairs to meet the garbage man I realized that he was a bit wet in the butt. Well, I also realized he was a bit stinky. It's not like he's never had a wet seat before on the curb. I mean, come on, a boy, sleeping all night, of course he's soaked. My kid drinks water like he just ran the Ironman so he usually wakes up with an eight pound diaper.

But, this wet was a bit mushier, a but more "special," if you will. And yes, by the time we got to the curb, it's aroma was wafting to my nose, even outside. It was lovely, that wait for the garbage man. I wonder if he could smell it too, all the way across the street, over the stench of trash. I wouldn't be surprised; it was just that special and just that super.

Of course, it's always a dash to get him dressed in time for the second round by. Don't ask me why we don't just wait down there in the first place. I don't know. It's just not how things are done. We have a routine and we're sticking to it. So of course, with World War Poop down there, it was definitely an extreme rush to get him down in time for the second pass, and he knew it. He could hear the truck approaching while I wiped and was straining to get away, wrestling against the wipes...hey, he had places to be. But, phew we made it.

After poop incident though, Thursday got even more super. We voted! Collin participated in his first real election. He mailed the real, actual ballots for both Mommy and Daddy. And, since Mommy and Daddy both voted for the same guy, I didn't have to throw Daddy's away instead to make sure only the important one counted :) Hee Hee. He got to wear Mommy's "I voted" today sticker all day, which left a lovely clean white circle underneath it after he played at the park and promptly got completely filthy surrounding every other square inch of himself. I keep trying to tell him that Mommy's vote was more special than Daddy's though because Mommy stayed registered in Ohio and Ohio is still a swing state but he pretty much knows Mommy's his special gal anyway, why rub it in?

1 comment:

Karen Parke said...

That is so cute that Collin looks forward to the garbage man! He is so funny.