Wednesday, July 8, 2009

No Rest for Collin

Collin has been on a sleep strike. This is unacceptable for me, mostly because I don't appreciate the nearly forty pound albatross that attaches itself to my calves upon non-napping afternoons and then doesn't detach until bedtime, screeching, whining and otherwise yelling about various things such as sippy cups that are unlocatable or that this that or the other thing is simply too heavy. Something simply had to be done about this nap-strike. I decided that bringing him to the point of sheer exhaustion was the only solution. Since we live inches away from really pretty trail access to the ocean, I had him there at the crack of dawn this morning; not a bad way to start the day, mind you.

Did I let him ride in a stroller? No. Did I let him con me into carrying him, despite the greullingly steep hills? No. Was it exhausting? Yes. I wanted a nap! I wanted more than that. I wanted to leave him there. It took us 20 minutes to hike down and nearly an hour and half to get up the hill. I think there should be some sort of medal for my patience.

Maybe my reward is that he still thinks that this is a smile. Cute, right?

I thought that this was not exhausting enough. I still took him to the park since we were home before lunch. We played and chased and built sandcastles, swung on the swings and did all the park stuff too. Surely this kid would nap. I think I mentioned I wanted to. I barely wanted to walk the one block home from the park.

Still, he needed time out to be convinced he was exhausted. He could barely keep his eyes open but he was convinced that there was more excitement, more playing to be done. What is with that kid! Oh, and not one, but two time outs! I think I have a crazy child.

1 comment:

Karen Parke said...

I was the mom of a little girl who NEVER NEVER took naps. Daily I would put her down and she would just talk talk talk....no nap. Sound Familiar ??????