Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Happy Not Father's Day

I saw this cute crafty idea wherein you can make a hug in a box as an "emergency kit" for daddy by smushing your kid's hands in paint, tying said mess to string and slapping it together with a little poem explaining the whole thing. Awwww. Too bad I didn't see it oh, a month ago, say for Father's Day.

Anyway, Collin didn't take a good nap today and I was feeling a bit adventurous. So, I thought what better than paint, scissors, glue, string, and the hot garage to pass the extra non-sleeping hours of the afternoon? Did I mention we are in a heat wave? Sure, we both needed a shower/bath when we were done to not only de-paint ourselves but to de-stinkify as well. But, it was fun and Daddy got a pretty darn cute little surprise gifty out of it. I like that I had to encourage him to stop painting the bruhses themselves and actually paint the box. I think he shows promise as a budding artist. Is it too soon to sign him up for Julliard?

I even was clever enough to tie the little hand prints apart the length of his arm span so that it would be an appropriately sized hug. Smart, huh? I was not, however, clever enough to use a hand print from each hand; so, it looks like Daddy's being hugged by a freak. What can I say? I'm not always on top of it. When there's plenitudes of open jars of paint, a two year old, a cat and a dog all in the same room, I'm not always on top of my game. His posing was pretty special though. Doesn't he look like a little half-naked statue?

I did get a smile though. One. One single solitary smile. Before he told me, "Mommy, all done taking pictures!"

He was serious too. I feel kind of afraid here. Not for my safety or anything, but maybe for the safety of say, my couch. He's got paint and knows what to do with it.

1 comment:

Karen Parke said...

That sounds like a fun project......looks like Collin had lots of fun doing it......