Monday, July 13, 2009

Bad Parents, Good Examples and Freaky Kid

So, about two months ago during a migraine attack that I'm pretty sure killed a major portion of my brain, likely the part that is responsible for spelling the word, "because" (I always spell it wrong!), I was watching the movie, Labyrinth in my bedroom. Collin snuggled up with me for about ten minutes and I thought, "eh, what harm can it do?" Well, he saw Sarah, the main character, almost fall into the Bog of Eternal stench and he's been talking about it for TWO FREAKING MONTHS!!!!

"Lady get owie!" or "Lady fall down!" He's been unbearably concerned for her welfare and it's been driving us nuts. He brings her up no less than forty dozen times a day. No kidding. So, I had a thought that was either going to fail miserably, ending in terrible nightmares featuring David Bowie in crotch-errific pants and feathered hair or stop this fear for Jennifer Connelly's constant safety. The idea? Let my 2 year old watch a PG-rated movie, in its entirety and let the chips fall where they may. I thought maybe if he saw that she was actually OK, he'd relax, especially if we coupled the experience with a special treat, namely popcorn.


So, Labyrinth is actually a teensy bit scary if you watch it as a 2 year old. But, we made some popcorn and pretended it was awesome, which it is! The kid was enthralled. He loved it! My punishment for being letting him be "bad?" I think it's shiny forehead syndrome in this picture.
Daddy's punishment? Collin's popcorn hands all over his clothes. Wait, isn't that my punishment too? I have to do the laundry in this house.
I'm not all fun and bad influence though. Apparently after gorging on popcorn that day and feeling all sloth-like from watching a movie all morning, he felt the need to work-out after nap. He took it upon himself to go get what he calls, "his weights," from the closet and do his "ekersice." Seriously. I can't make that up. I must be a good influence on him. Trust me, he does NOT get that from his father.
He did not, however appreciate the homemade quiche his mommy made for dinner. I just had to share the beauty that was this thing with the world. The last one, Bryon wrecked before it made it to the table. Getting it out of the pan is a challenge because it can collapse, which Bryon managed to do. This time, I did it and ta-da, perfection. No store bought crusts for this house. Yummy. Collin said, "No like this. Cupcake please." I have nominated myself for mommy of the year because you know what? I actually made cupcakes after that. Yep, I did. What? He worked out that day! He needed the carbs.
And finally, I think he's a bit of a freak. Yes, summer has arrived in SoCal, but it's not THAT hot. After nap time the last two days, this is what his pillow looks like. Yep, that's sweat.
Eeeek! Seriously, is that weird or what? It's gross! Then he's all grouchy when he wakes up because he's clearly uncomfortable and he wants to hug and snuggle and lay all over me to feel better. I love the kid but he's like a wet mop. Who wants to hug that? Uhhh, not so much me. I kind of feel like wiping him off though. Is that wrong? And yes, I changed his sheets.

2 comments:

Karen Parke said...

I remember when you were little you saw one of the the characters in One Life To Live get pushed down the stairs and you talked about it for months!! The quiche looks perfect....I can almost taste it and served on a Spode plate...who could ask for more.

I'm Erin. said...

Man you're going to have some serious laundry when Collin's a teenager and playing sports.