Wednesday, November 5, 2008

When Dada's Away...the Midweek Report

I attempted to do something that no sane, thinking person really should. I did Disneyland with a toddler...alone. Yeah, these annual passes are awesome and burning a hole in my pocket and Daddy's not here and Collin's just sitting there looking cute and free through the gate. And, it's so, so, so, so much fun to take him. So, I figured why the heck not?

Here's the reasons: one person has to carry the stroller, the bags the baby and the everything else on the tram off the tram and to and from the car; one person has to take the kiddo in and out of the stroller all day; oh yeah, and one person has full responsibility for the that same kiddo all day. One person gets all the fun, sure; but one person gets all the diapers, all the food (hey I didn't even THINK of how I would carry the tray, push the stroller and get a straw, a highchair and all that stuff at the SAME TIME!...leave my baby at table while I did that...uh, nope).

Okay, I must admit that it was totally fun though. I had this idea that I wanted one of those horribly overpriced pictures that the vest-guys are taking of you when you come through the gate. You know, a "Collin and Mommy's Special Day Out" picture? So, I walk in, pull him out of the stroller and march up to the vest-guy with my best, "Yes, I'm willing to give you $20 for a single photo face" and he totally ignores me and turns to the gaggle of 300-lb girls celebrating a birthday and proceeds to take about six pictures of them, making me feel like a stalker waiting behind him to. I felt like I was begging him to take my money, like pretty woman without the pretty part in that scene where she gets denied service at the snotty boutique. What? Collin's not as cute as the girls! We got our photo, don't worry. But, he didn't offer to gay it up like he did for them, asking me to put out my hand for an imaginary Tinkerbell that would be superimposed later. Apparently, Collin didn't look the Tinkerbell type.

We had a fabulous time after that hiccup. Don't tell too many people but this is a great time to go. We actually walked right onto all the rides and rode most of them twice in the hours we were there. We didn't even stay all day. All Collin could talk about was boats. So, we rode all the boat rides twice. Then, we rode traffic home because I'm an idiot and left at five o'clock. Der!

But, Collin's decided that this week is the Kill-Mama-Week. He's kept me up all night last night and the night before. Last night, he actually wanted to sleep with me. I know, crazy. But, he didn't so much want to sleep as he wanted to crawl as close to me as humanly possible, then closer. If he could've, he would've invaded my skin. Once he had reshaped my face by smushing against it, he was pretty comfy. Then, he insisted that I hum and rub his back, constantly. While this was actually pretty lovely and cozy, except for the face reshaping part, it was also 2 am and he wouldn't let me stop humming. In fact, if I stopped, even for a second, he'd pull his cute little face away and sign "music" to me with vehemence usually reserved for Nazi kill orders. So, by about 2:30, I told him he had to go back to his own bed, a devastating decision for this Mama because she loves nothing more than those snuggle moments that are so rare for her baby. But, it had to be done. So, he's been exhausted, exhausting me and has learned to yell louder than ever. Through breakfast he screamed "MAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMA!" endlessly just for the heck of it and found himself to be hysterical. He shoved and hit Grace more times today than I can count and he threw everything he could find at her. He made me hold him all through our lunch preparation today and he actually cried, CRIED the whole time he ate. He's never been this way. I'm thinking two skipped naps this week are what's done it. I refuse to believe it's possible that terrible twos are on the horizon. Either way, even his beloved Monkey is taking up drinking to deal with the situation. (actually, Collin insisted that Monkey have his own drink at breakfast yesterday...cute, no?)

No comments: