Friday, November 21, 2008

My Hired Help

I can't quite quit my non-paying day job as housefrau yet; but, I do now have an up and coming ally in this never ending duty of mine. I should've realized his potential for apprenticeship when he showed an abhorrence for dust. Little did I know, he'd enjoy housework of all kinds.

In this past week, he's become obsessed with helping me unload the dishwasher. At first, this was much to my dismay, as he likes to grab at ANYTHING in there, including the knives and the breakables. But, so long as I'm right there to snatch these items from him and "help the helper," we're good. The only drawback to this helping, other than the constant race to the accidental wrist-slitting or the smashing of my plates, is the misconception that the dishes in there are always clean. See, if he sees the dishwasher open, he figures it must be time to put stuff away. So, if the forks are in his reach, filled with cake bits or steak bits, he figures: "heck, I know where these go, time to put them away!" And, he does!

He's become quite the adept errand boy too. Just last night, I asked him to take some towels all the way upstairs and put them in the laundry room for me. He didn't quite make it to the laundry room; but he understood that they were dirty and he figured dirty stuff must go in the hamper. So, he put them in his room, in the hamper. Could that be any cuter? And, it was helpful...and it got him out of my way while I was chopping, even more helpful!

He can't reach the tall stuff, but he's pretty good at dragging the cloth around the coffee table and end tables and he loves the swirl pattern he makes with his little chubby fists. I just hope he doesn't learn to ask for an allowance. The only thing he fears is the Swiffer Wet Jet. I'm pretty sure it's because a few months ago, I laughed at him when he slipped on the floor when it was wet with the Swiffer juice.

Now, if he even sees me Swiffer, he gets freaked. If he comes in slightly after I've done it and the floor is still shiny with mist, he just points at it and shakes his head but still takes tentative steps, testing the waters, so to speak...then of course looses his balance and cries. I can't help but laugh. What? It's funny to see little stocking feet spread apart and then a little bottom plop on the floor? It's not like he cracks his head open and he does do it on purpose!
Now, we're adopting the habit of helping with dishes. He seems to actually enjoy it too. I think any kid likes splashing in the water. We're currently working on the idea that only Mommy and Daddy touch the knives; but he's having trouble with that. I think I've made the idea of a knife so fascinating that he can't help but show me one when he sees it. Ooooh, knife...look how sharp Mommy...see, I've impaled myself! But, see how fun it is to wash the blood away? And, no he hasn't cut himself and no I wouldn't laugh!
But doesn't washing dishes look fun if you are 19 months old? When does it stop being fun?
P.S. I know it's the same brown and green shirt...again! To be fair...I took these pictures yesterday. So, no he didnt' wear it again today! He's wearing a Hawaiian shirt today of course! It's Friday; what else would he be wearing?

No comments: