Sunday, January 31, 2010

Wonders!

Anyone remember Shrinky Dinks? Yeah, I forgot about them too. Well, until this week. Dude! So much fun. Well, I had way more fun with them then Collin did. This may have been because I forgot our oven light was burned out so we couldn't watch the magic of the "shrinky" part of the dink. So, it was basically just coloring and Collin's immense disappointment that what we made were not, in fact, cookies.

But, we went to the beach and tide pools again this weekend because, that's right folks, we can. I rub that in a lot, don't I? Well, in a year or two when I'm living in the frigid cold again in the winter, go ahead and rub in in. Meanwhile, I will bask in the joy that is California and thank my lucky stars for it every day. Then, I will sob and gripe every day I'm somewhere else. Fair warning. Anyway, we let Eddie roam and our dog that finds his own bark too intimidating to actually mutter, thus fears befriending other dogs for fear of hearing them bark, or some other such ridiculous reason, actually found himself willing to be social instead of cowering behind our knees. This is his girlfriend. I assume she is a girl due to her pink collar. I was so proud. I took more pictures of the dog than my son.

Wondrously, we decided to actually let Collin brave the rocks of the further tide pools this time. Eh, what's the worst that could happen, right? Considering when the waves crash on the shore he runs like hell for fear of getting splashed, I figured he'd do his darnedest to keep his feet out of the water, and he'd hold my hand, let me guide him through the safest path and generally not be dumb. I was wrong. Apparently, the water doesn't seem so menacing when it's just sitting there being all non-splashy. Instead of looking for "creatures" as he calls them, he thought the best part of the tide pools was dipping his feet across the surfaces as deeply as possible and then throwing the biggest rocks he could find as hard as he could into the water to see how much water he could splash up at himself. Alas, we were wet. Don't worry folks, clearly the camera is not in the bag if I'm in the picture, right? Lesson learned about going in the water with camera on my person.

2 comments:

Karen Parke said...

WOW...that looks like a really fun place to explore!

I'm Erin. said...

You're so headed to Minot next. I can feel it.