Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Collin's Second First Day of Preschool

Have you ever had one of those mornings as a parent where you wonder if you are ever going to figure out how to properly do all this?

Things I screwed up before 9 am this morning:
1. I forgot to put his name on the spare clothes for his cubby
2. I forgot to put his spare clothes in a ziploc baggie
3. I didn't get enough spare clothes in time for a complete outfit (damn shipping time)
4. I forgot to actually sign him in on the sign in sheet
5. I barely got him there in time this morning (um, lesson learned, leave earlier)
6. I wouldn't let him wear these despite pleading, begging and a puppy dog face (this may qualify under the good mom list)
7. I was so concerned about the list of stuff he needed for the first day, that I forgot my purse, wallet and military i.d. card.
8. I forgot to copy his immunization record for his school file
9. I forgot to return the library book at the library that I passed BOTH on the way to school and on the way home. It's easy to understand how I did this since the book was sitting right next to me on the passenger seat.

Things I did right before 9 am this morning:
1. I waited to cry until I got to the car; something I was sure I wouldn't do since I already "did" the whole first day of preschool thing months ago. Why did he have to look nervous this time! Why!?
2. I did the "right" thing and didn't coddle him when he looked nervous but only reassured him
3. I only watched him through the two-way glass for a few minutes instead of the six hours he's there. I was very tempted to ask for a chair and a glass of wine to calm my nerves. Would that have been wrong?
4. I already put his fairy wings in the car so he'll have them the second he gets out of school

5. I let him have sausage this morning because it's a special day
6. I remembered his sweatshirt for recess at the last minute, as the car was running. I choose to put this on the "right" list, despite the sweatshirt not being washed and having a mysterious stain on the sleeve. Remembering it counts for more than cleanliness in this case. He probably won't need it anyway, since it's already almost 70.
7. I swear I'm not trying to balance the list so I don't seem like I suck. That counts, right?

Oh, and this.

The fact that I produced this little person, must be proof that even on an off morning, I haven't completely been asleep at the wheel. Want to know why this is blurry? It's because he was so excited to give me a hug, that he rammed the camera person with such gusto, that the shot was "ruined." I can live with that. It makes the picture perfect, if you ask me.

2 comments:

Karen Parke said...

Mommy, your are more nervous than Collin....you did fine....Collin will do fine......

When you went to France and the plane took off.....I fell apart with tears. The lady next to me did the same thing and you were a teenager. I was worried about your money, your clothes, did you bring the right things, what if you get lost...you name it. Mommy worries never never never end.

I'm Erin. said...

For what you're spending on that preschool, they should have massage chairs and a bottle of the finest wine located directly in front of that two way glass! ;)

Hope he has an awesome day!