Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Face that is Sending Us to the Poorhouse


Is he worth it? I think so. I also think he should start pulling his weight around here after the Daddy and Mommy discussion that went into the wee hours last night that resulted in the decision to send him to this place instead of where he's currently going to preschool. Well, that is if it looks as good in person, and it sounds via referral and via the director who talked to me for over half an hour yesterday...in a cool accent by the way. Aren't all Americans sold by accents? If not, why do commercials selling luxury items use British accents? Listen for it sometime. Once, I noticed it on a Benefiber commercial. Need to crap? Be lured by the British accent. Pay no attention to the fact that we're essentially selling poopie-powder; you neeeeed this product. It's luxurious because it's exotic. Of course, not fly-swatting, malaria-vaccine-needing exotic, just fancy.

Anyway, I thought his preschool now is what was expensive. It's really hard to find a non-religious preschool and there are only a handful in the area. I am starting to question the one he's in for a handful of reasons and thus started the search again. Collin wasn't being helpful because he kept acting smart and making me feel like sending him to an expensive preschool wasn't a waste of money. The rational part of my brain keeps screaming, "it's all the same! it's all the same!" Meanwhile, the Mommy that loves her son more than life part of my brain keeps screaming, "nothing is good enough for your son! NOOOOOTHING!!! Does Yale have a preschool?"

So, after deliberation and Collin doing parlour tricks, like actually showing me he understands street traffic flow during rush hour, we (I) decided, we can suck up the extreme budget crunch that this is going to put on us until Bryon gets not only promoted but actually gets to pin-on (read: gets the pay raise). If that isn't counting eggs before they are hatched, I don't know what is. But, I'm pretty proud and confident of ol' hubby and with luck, this should be slightly less than a year that we'll eat Ramen and Collin can have the roast beef packed in his lunchbox.
Sad new facts about the new preschool though: Mommy has to give up Collin an extra day because they only do minimum of three days (boo-hoo, no really, I'm serious, boo-hoo), Collin has to wear a uniform (I'm not sure how I feel about this), Mommy has to give up her dream of a new china cabinet unless she stops eating (I cried--apparently, this is what it means to sacrifice for your children).

No comments: