Thursday, January 7, 2010

One Born Every Minute

I chose to believe myself over the moon with my child than a sucker. It makes it easier to look myself in the mirror in the morning. All the same, it's also a good idea not to take me with if you want to make a large scale purchase, like a car, because I will fall in love at first sight with most likely, the most expensive one on the lot, and insist on taking it home. This was the case with this new preschool thing before I even got there, and the moment I stepped on the grounds, I was ready to sell my soul to let Collin go there.

After getting the tour, I was, no kidding, in tears on the way home because I was overjoyed at the thought of being able to give my son such a wonderful opportunity. I have never seen such a place. It was beautiful. Every single, last speck of detail was thought out to enhance what he'll be doing. The colored pencils were even in appropriately colored cups. I know, a silly detail; but, it impressed me. The grounds were breathtaking. There was so much thought put into the organization of his day, his education and his play, that I was blown away, just blown away. It still makes me well up with excitement. Forget about my china cabinet. I would sell all my Spode if I had to in order to get my boy there.

Or, I'm being duped and it's all crap. Whatever. I'm a sucker then. Still, I have a feeling that it's not. If it were such hooey, I don't think there'd be waiting lists as long as my arm for these places. Somehow, luck just shined on us. Maybe I'm just a sucker for men in uniforms. I can't wait to see my little boy in his first little uniform! They are on order. His first day is Tuesday. Bryon and I will be starting our Ramen Noodle diet then, as we have to write our first check that day.


Oh, and the trip to the old preschool to pick up his stuff today? Ummm, awkward. Has anyone ever had to pick stuff up from an old boyfriend/girlfriend? I haven't. I imagine this is how it might've felt. Only instead of saying something like, "gee, I'd better get going, got some stuff to do," I said, "Come on, baby we need to buy some Nutrigrain bars," as our exit line.

Collin didn't want to leave. He was skeptical that there could ever, ever, ever be anything as fun at a new school as a sand table filled with nearly one oatmeal tub's worth of dried oatmeal flakes and some spoons for scooping. Oh, my son, just you wait. Just you wait. With the tuition we're paying for this new school, they should be able to afford to FILL that table, and give you cups and buckets too!

2 comments:

I'm Erin. said...

Come on now, you can't leave us hanging-- exactly how much does it cost to send Collin to the Yale of preschool?

Karen Parke said...

everyone is so excited for Collin. I can't wait for news of how things go with the new school....Happy for your whole family.....Good Luck Collin at your new school!