Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Typhoid Collin

Top Ten Job hazards of being a mom:
1. You get pooped on
2. You get barfed on
3. You get peed on
4. You get yelled at
5. You get things thrown at you
6. You get smacked in the face with errant toys
7. You get smacked in the face period
8. You get bitten
9. You get kicked
10. You get SICK.......

Yep, Collin got a cold this week. We've been lucky so far in his lifetime that he's only been sick a very few times. I mean what 18 month old can claim to have only had ONE ear infection? Collin, that's who. And, he's scooted under the cold radar most of the time too, managing to pick up only two or three so far. Other than croup, which I'm pretty sure is God's way of torturing children and their parents, he's been (knock on wood) healthy.

Then, just before I had to leave for my conference this weekend, as if to make sure I felt especially guilty in leaving, he decided to turn on the snot faucet. I managed to tear myself away from his booger nose and let Daddy take care of it and go anyway. It might have made it easier to go, actually. I figured he'd be miserable to be around in his condition...he wasn't, but it's what I told myself to get my butt in the car.

But, like any mother, especially a stay-at-home mother, I have been given the gift of germ-sharing. Kisses and hugs and love from your kid is all well and good until they give you the added joy of crap. See, Collin hasn't figured out the difference between a real kiss and kissing like the dog (i.e. licking you). Gosh, I hope he figures that out by puberty or he will be one unlucky kid when it comes to dating!

Anyway, licking mommy and snuggling up to her because he missed her has surely made him the Typhoid Collin of this household. So, he's still coughing (and sounding pathetically cute by the way while doing it), I'm stuffy and irritated about it, and Daddy is pretending not to be sick but really is. I think that he's sorry about it, but I can't really be sure.

1 comment:

Karen Parke said...

I hope the entire family gets over their colds in a hurry....it is no fun when everyone is sick !