Monday, September 8, 2008

Lay One on Me, Baby!

The ripple effect from "the incident" (i.e. being bitten by fang-child) are still being felt on our pond. Collin still has a bit of a black eye and as a result, Mommy is still letting him have bites of ice cream that he shouldn't have and maybe giving him more kisses and hugs than is perhaps natural or wanted (from his end, anyway).

But, worst of all, Collin has, I fear, adopted a fear of that adorable habit that other kids have of smooching one another. There's nothing cuter than one chubby-legged, cherub faced kid plants one on another fat cheeked baby. It's so innocent and the affection is so pure and spontaneous it makes me wish that when we felt pure gratitude, say for the bagger that doesn't squish our bread with orange juice, or for the one nice guy who doesn't steal our parking space when our blinker has been one for five minutes, that we would just haul off and do things like that. Of course, we don't because we've learned restraint that kids just don't have. They see someone they like and by God, they've shared a shovel with them; so, lo and behold according to toddler law, they deserve their highest level of esteem and gratitude, a kiss.

On Saturday, we were at the park and a kid twice Collin's age but still his size (I'm sure I've mentioned my son is a super-tank!) decided that since Collin was adorable and had mastered the monkey bars, he should be rewarded, and decided to plant one right on his sweet face. Collin stood stock still as this sweet boy approached. My gut clenched in fear, but even from a distance, I could tell this boy was approaching with glee and a heartful of joy.

When it was over, Collin screeched in terror and fled to the safety of my knees. I can't say that being his safety net doesn't feel as warm and wonderful as my favorite sweatshirt and a pair of slippers; but, I felt a sad loss for his innocence lost to this biter.

So, now we're working on not being afraid of kids who are being sweet and on boundaries with our personal space. Poor baby! At least he's still letting me kiss him and still kissing me. Darn that biter!

No comments: