Friday, September 19, 2008

Language Breakthrough

We have crossed a milestone today. My son, my joy, my angel, my reason for getting up in the morning (at five a.m. all week, thank you very much!) has made it past five words! Hooray! Most children his age are considering the idea of putting words into pairs or even into triples; but hey, Collin is definitely not "most" kids. We knew that when he was born and decided to shirk the whole "all babies poop" system and leave us empty diapers for weeks on end and make us more than concerned.

Anyway, lately he's been pointing at the endless supply of boat pictures in our house and saying, "boa boa." Imagine boat without the "t" (not snake). I tried to get him to say the "t" by stressing it but he just imitates me by saying the "t" separately and then says "boa boa" (I guess I could spell that bow bow, huh?) followed by "t" all by itself. Stubborn little cuss!

And, if that weren't enough, he points at the equally endless supply of his own baby pictures and says, "bebe! bebe!" We have a vain child. He knows where the albums are and he would look at them all day if I let him. Okay, sometimes I let him. There, I admit it. Wouldn't you? It means that he sits on my lap and points at pictures with me in them and says "mama!" Sometimes he even kisses my picture. You'd do it to if he were your baby! Don't judge!
But, the kicker is that he truly knows the word because he saw a baby today, an honest to goodness in the flesh one at the park and he ran up to him, pointed and said, "bebe!" with a huge grin. Oh, I was so proud! Then, I made him say it, oh I don't know, fifty or sixty more times to be sure.

So, all told, that brings our grand total of words up to six, making the milestone. See, the milestone is MORE than five. I'm thrilled. His words are:

1. Mama (yep, I'm most important)
2. Dada (okay, second place)
3. Eddie (I'll admit it, it was his FIRST...and ONLY word for a while)
4. Yeow-Yeow (what he calls Homer)
5. Bebe
6. Boa (-T) Boa (-T)


I think Homer, however, is less than thrilled with being one if his words!


1 comment:

Karen Parke said...

What great news about Collin's speech progress. I have every confidence that he will be saying "grandma" when I come to give him a hug in person !!