Monday, September 15, 2008

At the YMCA!!!!

I think the YMCA should actually stand for the following:

Y...Y are you leaving me here, Mommy?
M...Mommy, seriously are you coming back? Because I'm going to cry hysterically until you do!
C...Come on! I'm serious. Don't leave me here!
A....Awww! Come baaaaaaaaack! Don't go!

We purchased a family membership a while back for our local Y so Collin could take the Mom & Tot swim classes, which were, by the way, fantastic (and NOT cheap). I thought the Y was for those of us who were not the country club set...but I digress. Anyway, I decided to keep up the membership because they have free childcare and fun fitness classes for Mommy.

Since Collin has never been in a daycare setting, I thought it'd be good for him to get into a social setting WITHOUT Mommy for a change. One hour at a time would be good for him, I thought. Oh, how I was wrong.

We tried it a few weeks ago and since the trauma was too much for me to bear, we took a break. He made pathetic faces that I've never seen before and his lower lip did acrobatic feats in pouting that would break anyone's heart. They have this rule that if your kid cries for ten consecutive minutes, they come find you. Apparently, he cried nine minutes at a time then took a breather for a minute, then started back up again the entire hour I was gone; so, they never came to get me. Ack! My giant, nearly 30 pound baby was in an infant bouncy seat when I went to get him, apparently, his preference.

So, we went back today. I figured he wouldn't remember. Wrong-o. He grabbed my leg and tried to pull me out of there immediately. I tried playing with him for a few minutes, during which time, he left his lower lip out so far, I feared he might swallow his whole face. He didn't outright cry, but whimpered and let silent tears fall and slip down his cheeks. Can you picture the outright pathetic show this was?

I decided to leave him for no more than fifteen minutes, sitting out in the hall where I could hear him. I figured if he didn't cry, I'd give him five mintues of play time, showing him I'd be back for him quickly and if he did cry, I'd always be back for him anyway. We'd work our way up to longer stays. Of course, within seconds of my departure, I could hear him wailing. They came and got me within six minutes beause they feared he wouldn't breathe.

Should I be glad that he loves me and doesn't want to be away from me? Should I be proud that I didn't break down in sobs this time, like I did last time? Should I be relieved that the women running the show said that at least, he wasn't the worst they'd ever seen? Should I take him back? I know I should...but gosh it sucks!

1 comment:

Karen Parke said...

This was a terrible experience for the both of you! Although, you did describe it with a dose of humor. Poor little Collin, he must have been terrified. It is so very hard to hear your child cry in panic, even though you know what you are doing is probably good for him in the long run. Rachel, you were exactly the same. Like mother, like son. That doesn't help, I know that....but everyone will survive. My poor little grandson. Please give him an extra kiss from me...he tried the best he could to be brave.