Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Parenting at its Peak

My final is today. In case you missed the news bulletin. This means that Collin has been watching t.v. almost nonstop for the past 24 hours. This leaves me racked with guilt. It leaves Collin in a state of bliss. It also leaves me as prepared for my final as I was say, the day I was born, so what was the point?

How to study with Jack Skellington singing the same song day in and day out? Hmmm. I had to come up with something.

Yes, I am blocking the sound of my child out with noise cancelling headphones and Pandora Internet Radio. If you don't use it. Do. It's awesome. New Age ambient stuff is good for studying. It makes me feel like I'm at the spa and not in the torture dome, "learning" about literary theory. What's that? Deconstructional poststucturalism isn't horrible? I'm getting a massage? Oh. Wait! I'm being fooled here! Damn Ambient New Age! Back to reality. (Oh, and under those headphones is quite possibly one of the WORST essay question responses ever written. You should note it. It's a piece of history).

Anyway. Collin is in pure bliss. And we've come to an understanding with one another. He makes cute faces and snuggles up against me because, heck watching movies in the study/snuggle/comfort zone is a special treat for him, and when he does, I take a quick three second break to hug him back and tickle him unmercifully. You don't need sound for that communication. (P.S. I look like crap, don't I? I was so stressed about today being the big day that I slept about sixteen minutes last night. There's a reason kids go to college when they are kids).

And, this is the zombie state of my child. I think he'll snap out of it for tomorrow. I promised him Disneyland when I pick him up from school tomorrow for all this patience he's given me. What a trouper. I think we both need it!

2 comments:

I'm Erin. said...

Good luck! I doubt your essay is as bad as you claim. But one good thing about being a mommy and a student is that you already know what's *really* important in life, and an "A" isn't it!

Karen Parke said...

Looks like mommy and Collin worked out a good plan to "study" together