Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I Shall Call this Post Pink-Eye

Because calling it anything else that came up in the last eighteen hours would be too morbid. Has anyone else ever been there when they put their child under anesthesia? I know it's good for their child but it is single-handed the worst thing I've ever seen. Holding my boy as he went limp and lifeless, then became as heavy as a load of bricks as they took him from me and laid him on the table and he looked like he might as well have been as lifeless as he looked; well, it's something I hope to never see again. All I kept thinking in the little over an hour he was gone from my sight was please, please, please hurry so I can see him differently soon.

Thankfully, he was FULL of life when we saw him again. He was so full of life that three doses of Demerol did nothing to calm him from coming out of anesthesia. The two nurses he had, plus his Daddy and I were helpless in calming and restraining my child. He was hysterical for between 30 and 45 minutes before he even began to calm down. This left him like this. It also left me like this. Between keeping him up until almost eleven last night, per their request to feed him extra snacks and food so he wouldn't be starving, and the ensuing meltdown that caused because he was tired, plus the meltdown this morning, and the anesthesia meltdown, we are spent. All of us.


Oh, did I mention that we spent some time at Urgent Care last night? Why, you may ask? Oh, because when I picked C-man up from school yesterday I kept looking at his little face and wondering why he was accumulating a massive amount of goopy buggers on his face. Gross. By dinner, it was like he installed a bugger faucet without my having noticed. It was swollen too. I called the doctor and she said to have it checked and that she'd prefer him to already be on the drops if it was indeed, an active infection, before surgery. So, off to Urgent Care. Good timing, Collin. Good timing. Yep, pink eye.


So, the surgery went well. Apparently, he had monster adenoids. They were bigger than anyone had anticipated so he was in surgery for a little over an hour. He also had an active ear infection that no one knew about. He had been complaining all week about ear pain and telling me he couldn't hear. I had an inkling about that infection but the doc said that there was nothing anyone could've done because the fluid and infection was well behind the adenoid, as all his infections have apparently been anyway, so no one would've been able to see it, even if I had taken him in. He hadn't run a fever all week either. She said he had massive amounts of fluid that she drained but that she decided against the tubes and hopes that the draining and adenoid removal will be adequate. The tonsils were large and between the adenoid and tonsils she hopes this is enough. She also found a deal of evidence of acid erosion in his esophagus and upped his dose of Prevacid and between all that, we hope the coughing will finally be at bay.

Currently, little boy is resting and is doing pretty well. He opened up his get better bag and is overwhelmed with everything. He is watching his new movies and sleeping off and on and eating his junk food pretty well. We're already making our way through pudding and jell-o and yogurt and he's decided he specifically wants sponge bob squarepants push ups!

So, that's the news. Sorry, it's not exciting, interesting and amusing. Give me a break. We are going on about seven minutes of sleep and I feel like I have post traumatic stress. At least I didn't faint, like the mother of the kid in the bed next to us. I am holding it together better than that.

3 comments:

I'm Erin. said...

He looks so sweet laying there on the couch.
Glad it's over for you both!

Karen Parke said...

Poor little Collin.....first pictures I've seen with no smile / expression on his little face. Hope Thursday brings back that winning smile....

Rachel said...

Poor baby... and POOR MOMMY!! Glad to hear that all will be better soon.