Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Why You Shouldn't Have Babies

They break your heart. It's as simple as that. They grow up. They get so excited to start school and slowly, but surely abandon you, that they yell, all through breakfast, "I go to kool today!"

Then, they insist on carrying their backpack, packed with the checklist of items that the "kool" required, including a gallon of apple juice; which Collin's evil Mommy, unbeknownst to Collin, won't let him drink anyway.
This, despite your parental-all-knowing-warning that it would be too heavy for them. But nooooo, it is their backpack and they must carry it.

So, what would happen to them on a slanted driveway with a backpack that weighs half their body weight? If you think for a second that it's cruel not to stop this accident waiting to happen instead of photographing it, I implore you to think of it as tit for tat for not letting me pick his "first day of school" outfit for him. Darn kid insisted on his own clothes today. Not that it's a poor choice, but I thought I should get to pick. He's got a mind of his own that one. I can almost hear my parents now saying, HA HA!
Maybe it's okay to have babies. They don't grow up all that fast after all. I think this one needs me around a little while longer. That's not to say that I didn't ball my eyes out after dropping him off this morning. Damn kid breaks my heart without even trying. He flipped his little wrist in a dismissive, "bye mommy!" and went back to playing. I'm glad he's adjusting well, and more glad that he doesn't need me than I would be if he fell to the floor and broke down in sobs. Ahhh motherhood.

At least we have a while before he hits the next major milestone...driving. Wait a minute! Oh that's just Disney driving. Yeah, Daddy was jealous of our Mommy/Collin Disney dates so he took him this weekend.

2 comments:

I'm Erin. said...

What a big boy!
You'll both be just fine :)

Karen Parke said...

The picture of him falling backwards....that was great! THANKS...Gald Collin was so happy to go to "kool"