Sunday, March 27, 2011

Happy Birthday to My Baby Boy!

I am allowed to keep calling him that forever, right? I'm going to keep telling myself that until he's fifty. Or, at least until his wife (or husband, I'm not going to judge) insists that I stop.

He had a pretty good day, well series of days, starting at school on Friday. They do a "celebration" tradition at Montessori that is actually pretty cool. The child brings in a poster that details the history of their life and for the older kids, they participate in the making of said poster. Nonetheless, the kid is center of attention for circle time when the poster is shared and they do a little poem-type thing after each year and they feel really special. I would love to just share a picture but it is helpful to put the card in the camera when you take pictures, no?


Collin's class has a tradition of the birthday child bringing in lunch for the whole class which I'm torn on. I like them having something special and the kids all having a treat that day, but on the other hand, lunch for twenty kids is not cheap. What happened to the days of cupcakes?

Anyway, that kicked off his birthday weekend and he's been a spaz case ever since. A happy, wonderful spaz case.



Once, for his second birthday, I had the brainiac idea to blow up about fifty balloons and cover his floor with them while he was asleep so he'd wake up to a sea of balloons. He loved it. About once a month, at random times, he's mentioned in passing, "remember that day that was so wonderful that had balloons on my floor?" He knows just how to con me, doesn't he?




I got him some more balloons this year. I hope it's not going to be an annual thing.

He had a great birthday though. He got the only thing that he asked for: a Toy Story Scooter. And yes, it was hard to find. It was last year's model and not exactly at the first store we went to. Why can't kids just ask for milk?



The reaction is worth it.



I feel so grateful to be his mother on days where I can bring him such joy.


I love this boy!



Thankfully, Daddy got to be a part of his day, even if far away. We love you Daddy and we'll see you next week for the real partying down.

Thanks to Granny for so many things, not the least of which is allowing me to be in at least one picture with my son, even if he still does the squinty smile!
Oh, and when I asked him if his mom was pretty cool for knowing he'd want a Superman shirt for his birthday, he said, "Mommy, you are only cool on my birthday." And, so it begins.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It looks like Collin had a great bithday so far....and it is now over yet! He has the most expressive facial expressions. What a Joy, an absolutely joy he is. Happy Birthday little man...

I'm Erin. said...

I think Collin's school assumes that most of the parents are millionaires. That would explain their tuition. ;)

They were probably expecting caviar with lunch.