Friday, March 26, 2010

A Fun Run

So, when things are out of the ordinary at school, like say, when Mommy shows up, it shakes things up for a lil guy like Collin. When he saw me outside, he thought, "Heck, I'd like to run to her. I'd like to get me a hug. I'd like to bust out of this line that I'm supposed to stay all orderly in and just go get me some Mama-lovin." Miss Jacqui, well, she thought that maybe she ought to reign in the little guy. Chasing followed.
Pouting and pitiful faces that say, "this is torture, please save me, Mommy, moooooommmmy!" soon followed that. Seriously, I mean, COME ON! Like this is water torture camp! It's fun! And, I'm right there! Man, they can pour on the guilt, can't they?

Anyway, they were soon, off! Look at those kids go!

Wait a second. Something's wrong here. Oh, I know! My kid forgot to run.

Yeah, that's a bunch of kids about to lap him while he stands there staring at me, like he's forgotten how to use his feet. Anyone who knows my boy knows that he's pretty much incapable of walking anywhere, as running is his only speed. This is weird.

Yeah, he got the hang of it. Mommy had to run a lap with him and he got it figured out. Suddenly, he was unstoppable. Even after he bit it a number of times. His friend, Luke kept picking him up, dusting him off and basically telling him, walk it off dude, you're fine. And, he did. It was pretty cute. For the grandparents that sent us some money, I counted his little hash marks about halfway though and he had twenty-something laps, so way to go on just donating a flat amount. He is a crazy runner! He told us this morning that he was planning to run, "like lightning, just like mommy!" Apparently, he's unfamiliar either with just how slow his mommy runs or just how fast lightning is. Either way, he was quick and ran a lot!

He took a well-deserved breather at the half-way point and had trouble containing himself from going back into the fray. Once he got started, he had trouble stopping. He was pretty thrilled with the idea of running being allowed with wild abandon.

And, of course, what is a fun run day without Popsicles. You can see, of course, that Mrs. Nance is within the vicinity with a box of Popsicles. While all the other children are sitting nicely and merely existing together, Collin has spotted the mere presence of a food item and while he has learned to sit patiently, he is no fool. He's putting his hand out ten minutes before everyone else, eagerly awaiting his grub. He sat like that for, no kidding, five minutes.

Phew. Good thing he got his Popsicle.

1 comment:

Karen Parke said...

Those pictures and the verbage was GREAT....this was a great day for Collin. Raised money and had fun....