Sunday, November 29, 2009

What Mommy Is Thankful For

I'm thankful that Granny and Granddaddy came to visit for the holiday weekend and relieved me of "sticker-face" duty for a few days. I'm so glad I invested in that sticker book.
I'm thankful that Granny took up Peter Pan's first bow and arrow lesson, because surely, nothing bad can come of this.
I'm also thankful that I seem to have animals with the appropriate instincts. Well, at least one. Way to go Homer on the getting the heck out of dodge bit. Eddie, dude, LEAVE! P.S. no animals were harmed (okay, maybe scared...but not harmed).
I'm thankful that Bryon made the turkey. Yep, those are wire snips. Not pictured: welding gloves. Ahh the accoutrements of fine cuisine. I'm thankful that all my yummy side dishes filled me up quite nicely since I think turkey, prepared in any fashion, tastes like socks.
I'm thankful that we have a fake tree and that Bryon lets me put it up the instant Thanksgiving is over.
I'm thankful that no one batted an eye about letting my son gobble Christmas cookies while doing it. Hey! It's Christmas and I wanted them too!
I'm thankful that my son is now old enough to help with the decorating. I'm not so thankful that there is currently one branch on the tree with approximately sixty-three ornaments that he insists should go precisely, and ONLY, there.
I'm thankful that it's the last week in November and we can go for walks at the nature preserve on the shore with sweatshirts on...at dusk. And, I'm thankful my kid looks so freaking happy doing it.
I'm thankful that when you put a sweatshirt on said kid that fit him six minutes ago (okay maybe a month ago), the first thought you have is, "sob, my baby is growing up so fast," then you think, "crap, I need a new sweatshirt." When, if that same thing happened to me, I'd think, "F$@*, I'm never eating again!" Amazing, isn't it? I guess I should try to be thankful for perspective but he's supposed to be growing, right?

While we're on the subject of that walk, I'm thankful for this. The sun set. Bask, if you will.

I can't let the weekend go without saying I'm thankful for living so close to a place that's so rockin' fun for my family: Disneyland. Yeah, yeah we went again today. I'm thankful for being able to stand in front of the gigantic tree AGAIN this year, and take the same picture we took last year and look at how much baby changed. Of course, I can't show you last year's because I only paid for it and didn't use my camera too so you'll just have to take my word for it: he changed.

I'm thankful that I don't barf on the teacups. Collin had the BEST time I've EVER seen him have on them today. He was laughing so hard he was sliding around on his seat because he was having a hard time holding himself up between the centrifugal force and his giggles. What could be better than that? Well, it would be better of barf-a-lot-Daddy were in the cup with us. I admit, shamefully, I may have pushed a bit to get a blue cup this time. Too many times we get a pink cup! Shhh, don't tell.

And, I'm thankful that I only had to stand in line for twenty minutes to let Collin meet Santa there today. He's still pretty convinced that Jack Skellington is the dude bringing the loot on Christmas (for all of you that don't know, that's the creepy guy on our sweatshirts above). Yeah, we've pretty much screwed up our kid...and I'm a little thankful for that too: who wants normal?

1 comment:

Karen Parke said...

WOW....lots of great pictures from your Holiday. I loved the sunset. Looks like Collin had a great thanksgiving. And, another trip to Disneyland...what a lucky kid !!!!