Friday, November 6, 2009

A First: Say Cheese!

It was Collin's first picture day today. It wasn't a school day for him, but I had to take him there anyway for the photographer. Can you believe he's old enough for picture day at school? Oh my goodness!

He wanted to wear the sweater that goes with this shirt (thanks Granny!). I decided, eh, no, since it has reindeer on it and I thought maybe Christmas year 'round is a bit weird. I also decided that a child that is insistent on his wardrobe choices, so much so, that he knows that a shirt came with a sweater that he saw all of one time over a month ago, is clearly a child of mine.

He refused to sit nice for a pre-picture. That's my boy. He was a little nervous for the photographer at school but once he calmed down, I think they will turn out kind of nice in that "weird school picture kind of way." At least he wasn't crying hysterically like the kid they had to remove (in that kid's defence, he's also the kid that cried hysterically at the Halloween party when the cops came and pulled him aside...I'm intensely curious about this child). Anyway, I'm a little excited. Nothing says "school" like goofy brown/grey background!

But, we did "finger paint" when we got home with the color wonder stuff which made him happy and take a better picture. This is another first because the last time we used it, he freaked out about his fingers getting gooey; apparently, school has taught him, among other things, it's okay to get your hands dirty.
So far, he's learned his letters and some colors, all things I've tried endlessly to teach him but he refused to learn from me. Amazingly, when someone else tells him these things, they sink in immediately. Apparently, this is a lesson that I will have to learn to accept: parents know nothing, right?

1 comment:

Karen Parke said...

I can't believe that Collin had his first "school picture"...that is really something to celebrate. Isn't it funny how kids will listen and learn from other people but you can beat your head against the wall and they ignore what you have to say !!