Monday, August 24, 2009

At Least there's Laughter, Right?

When you come to the realization that strangers always stop to take a second, third or even eighteenth look at your kid, it's kind of like oh yeah, I know, I made that! When you realize that they are laughing at him, not with him, it's a little less of an enthusiastic reaction. See, we went to the zoo this weekend, which was by the way maybe not such a hot idea because it was wickedly blazing hot and I nearly melted. I kid you not.


Anyway, Collin got so excited at nearly every animal that he spotted that he would wiggle his way up to the fence and then shriek that animals name, while simultaneously doing something that resembles the pee pee dance in psycho speed. When he realized that Mommy and Daddy were standing back to allow other children to see said, mountain goat, prairie dog, lion, whatever, he'd realize that somehow we were deprived of the joyful glee he was experiencing and he'd clamber back to us, screaming, "MOMMY! MOMMY! MOUNTAIN GOAT! LOOOOOOOOK!" at which point he would yank me by the kneecaps to the fence, pull me down to his level and press my face through the bars until I displayed an equal amount of enthusiasm. Laughter was heard from the onlookers.

You'd think this was maybe only excitement to be felt at the coolest of animals, say the lion or maybe the monkeys. No. An anteater, anything really was pretty damn exciting to the kid. It was pretty cute though. Hilarity ensued.


Sweatiness as well. Like I said, I'm pretty sure that hell is cooler than it was at the zoo yesterday. Okay, I'm exaggerating; but only a little. I was pretty sure I was going to die. Collin, on the other hand chose to run at full speed from animal to animal and then promptly collapse in full, sweaty exhaustion in the car on the way home. He got his first pit stains, which was something I think I'll leave out of the baby book.

He says he appreciates that and would much rather be remembered for being adorable, like this, than being a sweatball, which he usually is.

1 comment:

Karen Parke said...

Looks like your family had a great day at the zoo.....wish I could have been there with you !