Tuesday, September 22, 2009

An Explanation for a New Disturbing Trend

Collin has an obsession with fairies. It's not in me to dissuade my son from what can perhaps be a beat-up worthy adoration of all things twinkly and sparkly. Okay, I exaggerate. He just likes fairies. What?! They are kinda cool, right? Magic, the ability to fly. Is anyone with me on this?

So, yeah, I let him meet Tinkerbell at Disneyland last week. I've gotten no end of grief about it. This is no less compounded by the fact that I stood in line for 35 minutes to do it and bought the picture. Should I scan the darn thing for you? Bryon says the Tink we met looks like a crack whore. It's also ridiculous that he was thrilled, THRILLED to meet her. He hugged her like she just got off the plane from a war zone. It was embarrassingly cute. Still, is it going too far that today at the library, I had to draw the line at TWO of our five books being about or featuring a fairy?

Anyhoo, I'm pretty sure it stems from his all out love for Peter Pan, which is cool with me since it's my all time favorite Disney movie and since the kid doesn't get t.v. time and he rarely gets movies, I'm digging that that's the one he glommed onto as his favorite. When he discovered that there were fairies in Fantasia as well, he was hooked. "They are sooooo beee-aw-ful mama!" Alas, a sneak peak at our crazily expensive Halloween costume. He was so excited to put it on and see that he was, in fact, Peter, that he refused to take it off. Bryon's just happy that the Disney version of the costume, despite it's excessive price tag, did not require the purchase, or wear of tights.
He was also pretty upset to give up the pretend sword because once he figured out the button that makes "real" swashbuckling noises, WAHOO! But, thanks Disney for making it out of "safe" foam that won't last much more than Halloween night. Yep, sorry kid. You can't play with it until then :( I'm mean, I know. And even then, any bets on how long he gets to keep it before I have to take it away for his "stabbing" someone with it?


This, however, I cannot explain.


He's done it since he was a baby; passing toys from my mouth to his and vice verse. It's weird; especially when it's a pretend hot dog. It's also mildly disturbing when it's a toy hot dog.

1 comment:

Karen Parke said...

Collin is just too cute as Peter Pan