Sunday, July 17, 2011

Sir Collin Goes to the Faire

We went to the Renaissance Faire this weekend. To say that Collin enjoyed himself might be one of the biggest understatements I could make. From the moment they let him try on mail, he was in heaven.


For months, I've been telling him that "real" axes and "real" swords are too heavy for him as an explanation as to why he can't have one, forget all the other logical reasons. His exact words when he picked this up: "See! This isn't too heavy! Now, I can have one." And, no this isn't real.

He did however find that the mail shirt was too heavy for him and wanted it off pretty quickly.


He did look totally adorable, though.

Once he realized that he could eat meat with his hands, and in large portions, he was sold on the Middle Ages, and I think I have a complete convert to my side.



I've heard those turkey legs are good, but even before I stopped eating meat, I never liked turkey so I've never tried one. All I know is that you could barely pry it out of his hands. He gnawed on it for hours.


Because he's my son, there's no way to escape the Renaissance Faire without swords and a shield. No, he didn't get "real" ones; not yet, anyway. I'm glad that I am holding fast to that rule, since he insisted on carrying them jammed down the front of his shirt, instead of in the leather strap that a kindly leather shop owner made for him.

Once he had swords in hand, he insisted on challenging every costumed person that came across his path by jumping in front of them and shouting, "I have a sword!" or by simply brandishing it in their faces until they noticed him. No amount of my stopping him or correcting him seemed to work to quell this behavior because, as you know if you've ever been at the Renaissance Faire, all these people are in character all the time, and they took kindly to his antics and responded to him as if he were performing a little skit and just played along, which only encouraged him.

So, he kept challenging.


And challenging.


And challenging.

Until....


Yes, that's right. He attempted to challenge the QUEEN!

Seriously. The procession was coming along and everyone was doing their little shouts and yells and trumpet thing and, of course, everyone got out of the way for her, but not my boy. He simply saw an opportunity to challenge fancy people. He saw a clearer shot at costumes because the crowd dispersed.

He charged right into the queen herself before the guard, or anyone could stop him and bam, challenged her. Thankfully, she thought he was adorable and a conversation ensued in which he charmed her.


The captain of the guard said that when he turns sixteen, he could come see him and he can become one of her knights and help protect her but Collin said, "No thanks, I only protect my Mommy." Awwww. So, the Queen gave him one of her jewels and had him kiss her hand.

No comments: