Tuesday, June 15, 2010

And There's This

I generally try to keep my whole "not believing in God" thing as a thing that I don't push on others but something that I might make a crack about every once in a while; something like, "hey good think I don't believe in God, or I'd be going straight to Hell right about now." It's not so cool to broadcast it, you know? People, most people, believe in the dude. And most people think he's really, really important. I'm down with that. Seriously. I have the utmost respect for everyone's beliefs. If you choose to believe that your ham sandwich is your personal savior, great. I'm not going to argue with you. I literally do. not. care. I also find that sometimes, people on both sides of this God-fence can have a bit of a pushy agenda when it comes to religion and I'm not so down with that. Let's just leave at at that.


But this morning was when I had a moment of doubt. See, I actually called Bryon from the toilet (where I do my first news update of the day, scrolling my phone, bleary eyed for the morning--you needed that image, didn't you?) because I couldn't contain my glee to pass on the news about this.






It used to look like this.


source

Many a time we've passed this statue on the way to Cincinnati when we lived in Ohio and Bryon and I got into many a long conversation about how the pulpit preaching must've went in the mega mall, oops, I mean church to convince the parishioners that their collection plate filling was going to a good cause to build it rather than to homeless, lepers, etc.

"Oh ye Christian followers, the gads of money it will take to build this classy statue cannot be better spent on Christian deeds 'round the world. No! No! We will not be the laughing stock of this, our great state of Ohio! No!"

Anyway, I'm convinced that perhaps if there's a God, he finally smote this absurdity. The irony: the church will likely be able to fix it with an insurance claim under an act of God, I'm sure because it was a lightning strike that caused the fire.

Or, he did it to give Bryon a little glee because Bryon is the best husband on the planet. In the past week he has bought me ALL new replacement everyday dishes in Spode everyday no less. Hooray for Bryon! And he bought me this.

Yes, I've wanted this for the past two years and he broke down and bought it for me. He let me bargain hunt for two years, and if I do say so myself, I got an excellent deal. It was not the retail price of, gasp $600.

Anyway, Happy Birthday to me!

1 comment:

I'm Erin. said...

I think you "happy birthday"-ed yourself 2 weeks early.
But since I'll be traveling across the country on your actual birthday-- happy birthday Rachel :)