Monday, June 27, 2011

Reading! My God, He's Growing Up!

My goal for each day runs contrary to Collin's goal for every day this summer vacation. I start every day with a list in my head of at least a dozen fun activities that we can do, things that will keep us running and busy, from sun up until sun down, so he's happy, and more importantly, busy. He starts every day with a question. This question:

"Can we watch a little t.v.?"

When the day comes to a close and we (read: me) managed to find enough fun things to do so that we didn't actually have time to turn on the darn thing, I tuck him in and he says:

"That was a fun day, but I sure wish we had time to watch some t.v." Sometimes, he adds, "Maybe, tomorrow we'll have time for fun...you know, t.v."

Can't win, can you? Tide pools. Art projects. Parks. Parks. Parks and more parks. Museums. Beaches. Hikes. A thousand and one activities. If only I'd turned on Dora the Explorer, his life would've been more complete.



Anyway, we are also working pretty hard on having "school" every day so he doesn't lose everything he gained over this last academic year. Because I've got the time, I have been spending a lot of time with him practicing his handwriting and working on math, and even moving ahead with reading.

I sometimes "trick" him into doing work. He's onto me pretty quickly for the most part. This is the boy practicing math and counting in groups of ten. We were using dry beans and bowls.



For reading, to my great delight, and not so much surprise (because I knew he was a genius--aren't they all?), he was ready for reading. I suspected it but was hesitant because I didn't want to bang my head against the wall, and because I was intimidated to try teaching such a big concept to a boy as stubborn as Collin. But, he seems to be picking it right up. I was so proud when he read his first story that I almost cried. I swear, I could listen to that crummy story a thousand times in a row to hear his sweet little voice sound out those words.

I think I clapped louder and made more of a fuss over it then when he made his first poop in the potty. This leads me to question: which is a more valuable skill in society? Toilet training or literacy?

It's fun to watch his eyes light up when he realizes he "gets" it. He really loves some of the games I've found for him that reinforce his sounds and supplement the reading program that I am using. He's really, really good at them.



First step: learning to read. Next step: president.

And I don't care what he says, it's a good day when you become literate, regardless of how much television you watch.

No comments: