Monday, June 6, 2011

Life is Good

I've come to the conclusion that if the worst thing I do as a parent is let my kid watch inappropriate movies, I'm not doing so bad. He's well-adjusted, happy and healthy. He's a good boy, save for urinating on other children at school, (it only happened once!) and for the occasional boy behavior. He's also the sweetest, most gentle creature on the planet. So, I think we are doing well. I'm okay with him watching crap, especially since he doesn't watch much of anything in total.

Anyway, he watched Lord of the Rings with us, in marathon fashion the last time Daddy was home. If I had to watch Toy Story one more time, I was going to kill myself. And truth be told, he is so much more into knights and swords and what I like to call "cool" stuff anyway. If you call it cool, it's not nerdy, right? Wahoo for me. He got a little bored with the talking parts, but boy did he like the fighting parts. He is looking around every corner for Orcs and the big watching eye of Sauron. Apparently, nothing will ever scare my child. Besides, they look sweet don't they?



Oh, and another failing of my parenting perhaps? This. Let's just say I encouraged this Or, at the very least, I didn't stop it.


At least I'm a healthy cook. This is butternut squash that is meant for our homemade macaroni and cheese. Collin didn't like it. He ate it; but, he didn't like it. On a regular basis, I still hear, "Kari is a better cook than you. Why don't you make dinner like her?" Kids.



Anyway, I'm still reveling in the joy of relaxing and in getting to actually enjoy time with Daddy when he comes home, instead of just waving hello and locking myself away for the 48 hours he's home so that I can study. Life is so good when there's less stress.


And now that there's a break, I'm reading and studying the area's of medieval literature that are of the most interest to me, instead of just the stuff that I had to read. You didn't realize that even medieval literature was broken into itty bitty categories did you? Well, it is. But, now that I'm done with all my core work, I can actually just do what I WANT. It's like playtime! I even watched First Knight again last night, which I haven't seen for years and I was actually sad halfway through because I realized I only had halfway to go. Now, of course, that isn't really studying, but it just reminds me how much I love what I'm doing. That movie is based "loosely" on Chretien De Troye's version of Lancelot, which I'm in the throes of right now and it's an amazing story. If I could do THIS every day for the rest of my life, I'd be happy until the day I died. Bryon and I are even talking about going to England next year when I graduate and taking Collin on his first overseas adventure. I can't wait. New furniture can wait another few years. I hate our stuff so much that it makes me cringe sometimes, but the Bodleain library and castles await.

No comments: